One XL only working whilst connected to computer

TomTom Model(s)
One XL 4S00.006
Hi

I have a One XL 4S00.006 I am based in the UK and it's the United Kingdom/Rupublic of Ireland version which comes on the 256mb memory card

I can operate it whilst connected to my PC using the "operate my ONE XL" from within tom tom HOME, and it shows my location fine and locks onto the GPS satellites fine. When I try to use it outside though it's unable to find a gps signal and just keeps rebooting itself.

I've tried

Reinstalling everything via tomtom home

Resetting it with a paper clip numerous times

Doing the add or delete a favourite thing whilst operating it via tom tom HOME

It shows as everything being up to date via tom tom home

I did read on here about replacing the navcore manually rather than via tom tom HOME but wasn't sure where to get the version specific for my model.

Any help appreciated as I need to use it tomorrow to get somewhere eek

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, have you updated the map recently? eitherway its worth trying the following, use Windows Explorer to view the content of the device, locate the UK&ROI folder and open it, locate the "MapSettings.cfg" file and delete it (don't worry the device will create a new one when it starts up). Disonnect from the PC and let the device boot, does it start up now? - Mike

Thanks for the reply,

No I'm still on the original map that came with it, I'm too stingy to pay for the updates :p

I've just renamed the MapSettings.cfg as MapSettings.cfgback , but its acting the same, no gps signal and then a reboot. I've just checked and it has recreated a new MapSettings.cfg

Any one else got any ideas? Would reinstalling the navcore manually help if so where would I find the version for my unit

Thanks

You can download the latest Navcore for your device from here ONE XL, then use WinRar to extract the files straight to the device - If you are unsure about how to do this just ask and we can supply some instructions on how to do it - Mike

Thanks

No change after trying that though unfortunately.

I've just read on another thread about trying to reformat (see below), but when I try and copy everything off the tomtom using explorer before I reformat I just get the message "Cannot copy files: Cannot read the source file or disk"

Try this:

Make a complete Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Now, format the internal drive of the unit. Do not use quick format.

Use Explorer to copy everything back. Any better?

Just tried a reboot, but no change.

After further investigation if I don't try and copy the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland folder, all the rest happily copy (presumably that was the first one it was trying to copy).

Upon looking in the United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland folder as well as quite a few .ov2 files which I've downloaded onto it locations of supermarkets etc, there are also two folders with odd names "k■*uk■*u.K■"* which have nothing in and two files called just "■" which in explore say they are 3.894gb big but which when I right click on them show as 0 bytes in size. There are also two files called just "?" which show as 512kb in size but which when right clicked in properties show as 0 bytes in size.

I haven't tried I wasn't sure what I could safely delete.

Are all those files I mentioned above corrupted data then?

I presume the large 3gb files are my map data, does that mean I can't get them back, I seem to remember reading that if you loose your map data you've had it as you can't re-download it using home?

Consider this......your unit does NOT have 3.8 gigs of storage so those files must be wrong and corrupted. However, try using Explorer to back up those folders that you can and loose files too. Start with that.

Consider this......your unit does NOT have 3.8 gigs of storage so those files must be wrong and corrupted. However, try using Explorer to back up those folders that you can and loose files too. Start with that.

Heh that's true I hadn't thought of that.

The corrupted files wouldn't delete, but working through the folder I found all that would back up and then reformatted the disk and moved everything back, it now appears to be working great and seems nippier to use as well.

Much thanks for the help from both of you :)

Ask a Question