one xl- no sound

TomTom Model(s)
one xl
My one xl has stopped giving out any sound at all. It started by giving croaky voice commands{Jane} and then deteriated to breakup of voice ,then to no sound at all.I do not get the drum roll on start up or any warning sound either.I have done a soft reset and a reinstall using TT Home but still got the problem.I am using a 2GB memory card in the unit with western europe.I allso use another 2GB mem card with western europe and eastern block,no sound with either mem card. Guidence please as this unit is out of legacy ie no support from TomTom by phone etc.:)

Sometimes, a sign of a failing battery is first noticed when the sound starks breaking up or failing completely. Charge your unit for about 3-4 hours connected to a computer (or a Mains if you have one) and try again.

I allways use the unit daily and plugged in to an electric supply so would that make any differance even if the battery was beginning to fail. The battery does not last for very long when the unit is on but not connected to an electric supply. :)

I would suspect there is a problem with the speaker itself - possibly a blown voice cone or a slowly-deteriorating wire connection . Depending on how you feel about taking off the back and taking a look around, it will be difficult to determine the nature of problem and possible solution.

One easy quick check - tap on the back of your unit while "Jane" would normally be talking. If you notice a difference, then there is likely a mechanical problem which *might* be an easy fix.

Thanks for the info,tried tapping whilst doing a voice test but sweet nothing,will do a back cover removal and see what transpires,ta.

Ask a Question