One XL Map Update Error - clnie.dat

One XL Map Update Error - cline.dat

Hello All.

New to the forums, and have been happy with my OneXL...up until today.

Lots of changes to roads around here between DC and Baltimore, so I figured I would hop on the map update option for the next year.

Connected the gps to the computer, paid for the updates, and let them download for the few hours it was going to take. Download completed, and I get the following error:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/Write: An error occurred while using this file: D:\USA_and_Canada\cline.dat
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1233)
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1233
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:84
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1032
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:81
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

I have tried erasing the USA_and_Canada folder entirely, I deleted the download from my computer and re-downloaded, same issue.

I made a backup prior using HOME, and also one using explorer. I still get the same error (this is the third time) for some reason.

What do I do from here to get this working? The steps on the webpage dont seem to help much. Any input is appreciated!!

Last edited:
When you download the map, it should be stored in:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\usa_and_canada
(If there are multiple ones, use the one with the most recent date)
Use a program like winrar and run a test on the big usa_and_canada zip file. Does it error on that cline.dat file?

If so, delete the folder, delete the usa_and_canada folder on your tomtom (since you already have a backup) and delete any files in:
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp

Then try the download again. If it errors again, then retry the winrar test on the zip file.

If the zip test errors again, then either tomtom has a bad zip file, or your ISP is caching the zip file and the cache is corrupt. You'd have to call tomtom support if that is the case.

Thanks for the reply MVL.

I just ran a test on the zip file using 7zip, and there are no errors in the file at all.

First use notepad to open up the usa_and_canada.TOC file in the same folder, and make sure it shows your downloaded map version (eg map 830).

Then just copy all the files from within the zip (excluding cspeech files) and overwrite the ones on the tomtom's folder. Then copy the contents of the activation.cab file and similarly overwrite the ones in the tomtom folder.

That would be a manual way of installing the map.

If that works, then I'd recommend uninstalling and redownloading/reinstalling HOME from the tomtom website as it may have a bug.

If it doesn't work (eg has an error on the copying of the cline file) then try a chkdsk /f /r on the tomtom drive (close HOME first) to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the reply!

I was able to manually copy the files onto the device from the USA_and_Canada folder.

However, I dont see where Im supposed to put the .cab file, or the .toc file.

This is for the 830.2323 version of maps.

Can you help me in figuring out where to put the rest of the files? HOME doesnt see that I have the new map files installed.

Thanks again for the
reply!

I was able to manually
copy the files onto the
device from the USA_and
_Canada folder.

However, I dont see
where Im supposed to put
the .cab file, or the .toc
file.

This is for the 830.2323
version of maps.

Can you help me in
figuring out where to put
the rest of the files?
HOME doesnt see that I
have the new map files
installed.
open the cab file with
winrar and put the file
inside with the rest of the
map files. Ignore the toc
file, its an index file used
by home, not the tomtom.

Thanks again!

I tried the manual copy the first time, and unfortunately it gave me an IO error. I ran a chkdsk and then the files copied with no issue.

Now my problem is that HOME says that i have another map update available, but it doesnt see that I just signed up for the map update service. I have a feeling Im going to have to call the support folks, arent I?

TomTom tells ALL of us we have map updates, even when we have the latest. It's a bug in TT's Home software. Don't worry about it. Glad you got your issue resolved with mvl's help.

Now, please, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Thanks DHN.

You all have been very helpful to say the least!

The thing that also concerns me is that in HOME if I go to the "maps" menu, it says that the USA maps are on my computer, not on my device... Im wondering if that has to do with asking me to update them.

I just dont want to get a few months down the road and have TomTom ask me to pay them again for the map update service....

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the version number of the application installed. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map and version installed. What do you see when you do that?

It looks good to me. The application is the latest version, so is your map. As long as it all works on your unit.

(You may wish to do a reset of your unit (hold the power button for 15 seconds or so) and reconnect it to Home and see if Home accepts the map version now.

If HOME is offering map 830.2323 in the "Update my XL" section, that is because the manual installation process doesn't generate a new usa_and_canada.tlv file in the maps folder.

HOME looks at the usa_and_canada.tlv file in your maps folder to determine what map is installed on your device, if no file is found it then looks at the map itself.

So you have two options:
1) attempt to install map 830 via HOME. Perhaps with the IO issue fixed it will install properly, and HOME will generate a proper usa_and_canada.tlv file.
2) delete the usa_and_canada.tlv file in your maps folder. HOME will then look at the map itself and properly realize you have map 830.

You'll still have a box in the upper right saying newer maps are available, and a banner ad acoss the bottom saying newer maps are available. Those are the erroneous messages that DHN is saying to ignore.

Thanks much for all the advice and help!

I tried to push the update again from HOME, and no luck, I got the same error as before.

I also looked for the .tlv file that you mentioned, but I dont have one of those anywhere on my device. Is it supposed to be in the USA_and_Canada folder?

The file should be called USA_and_CANADA.tlv and it should be in a different folder called "maps"

The XL software is older than my GO's software, so it may not be there in your software version.

Once again, you are right on. I dont even have the Maps folder either. Is that something that should be there?

On my tomtom, everytime HOME installs a map it updates the tlv file. As far as I can tell the tomtom doesn't need it, it's just a quick-reference for HOME to know what map you've got. Since you manually installed the file, there wouldn't be a .tlv file.

I run application version 8.3. Your model only supports the older application 8.0 for 32 meg ram devices, so I'm not sure if the tlv file is different.

I'm just surprised that you're getting so many IO errors, it shouldn't be happenning. Are there any updated USB drivers for your computer? Can you switch the bios temporarily to USB 1.0 to slow down the transfer? Maybe try a different USB cord? What does your tomtom say under "boot" in the application version screen (should be 5.3nn)?

Again, everyone gets the bug with the "new maps" warning in the upper right of the HOME screen, and in the banner ad at the bottom. You shouldn't be offerred a new map if you go to "Update my XL", if you do then somethings still wrong with your install.

You could either just live with your working device (you have the latest map 830). Or if you want to try a full reset you can format the device and reinstall everything.

If you want to try the format approach, just format the entire tomtom as fat32. Then open HOME and keep running updates until it installs app 8.0 and then download voices and your map.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help everyone. It seems that my maps are working fine, and HOME no longer has the issue where it doesnt see my maps.

Ill see what happens when the next map update comes around, but for now thanks much!

Ask a Question