One XL hard wire car charger

My Tom Tom One XL lost the USB plug on the circuit board where the car charger plugs in. I would like to hard wire the car charger to the 3 wires (red, yellow, black) where the battery plugs in. Can this be done safely without frying the Tom Tom ?
Thanks
Todd5pt0

Attachments

• tom tom 005.jpg
    tom tom 005.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4,748
Why don't you solder the cable from the charger to the pads where the USB connector was? That would ensure that you are not bypassing any important circuitry. That's what I would do, or replace the connector.
Cheers,
kev

My Tom Tom One XL lost the USB plug on the circuit board where the car charger plugs in. I would like to hard wire the car charger to the 3 wires (red, yellow, black) where the battery plugs in. Can this be done safely without frying the Tom Tom ?
Thanks
Todd5pt0
No. The USB connector is designed to supply 5VDC, regulated down to about 3.7VDC by your TomTom. You do NOT want to connect 5VDC to the battery (you'll fry it - at best), or any of the circuitry designed to be powered by it! You need to do as suggested above, although it won't be that much fun to do the SMT soldering. Remove the USB connector if necessary and use those pads for your connection.

Ask a Question