ONE not seeing SD Card after map update

I took the 2G card from my camera after deleting all photos and put in TomTom. In Windows explorer TomTom showed up and still had a Nikon folder and another DCIM (or ?) folder which I deleted through explorer.

Now that it was empty I started Home and the TomTom showed up with nothing on it. I loaded the card like instructions said and it all worked fine. Except I loaded the new app from a previous download from computer instead of older version off DVD.

Did you try a newer different app than what came on DVD? Did you try the app only? It should come up and say there are no maps...

Do you have another SD card to try? Even a 1GB to try to get the app to work, then you would know the TomTom doesn't like your 2GB card.

The card was/is a brand new Sandisk Ultra II 2gig that I'm trying. And as of now I don't have any other card to try (have lots of 512k laying around).

The TT One won't recognize the card after installing application and North America map from latest map DVD. If I take the same card and put it in a card reader the apps, maps, data show up. Comparing it to the OEM SD card, it looks similar in what is on each card.

I will (a) try again later, and (b) probably pick up another card later today.
I'm still not convinced the card is not faulty somehow, ie - format?

UNPLUG YOUR TT from your PC

Put the card in the reader, format FAT. Start the TT w/o the card in it. you should see a screen telling you there is no card in it and to insert. insert the card. Does THAT much allow the TT to see the card?

NOW... plug in the USB to the TT and connect to your PC. Does your PC see the TT as a removabl drive?

If so install the App only for now. what App version are you installing? After you install disconnect the TT from HOME by selecting disconnect device, then remove the TT fromt he USB cable. Does the TT come up and say no maps?

If so... reconnect and install a map.

Let us know...

although I can't say the format is the issue..... I just checked my OEM card that came with my ONE and its FAT32. My 2GB card is FAT... hmmm

The card was/is a brand new Sandisk Ultra II 2gig that I'm trying. And as of now I don't have any other card to try (have lots of 512k laying around).

The TT One won't recognize the card after installing application and North America map from latest map DVD. If I take the same card and put it in a card reader the apps, maps, data show up. Comparing it to the OEM SD card, it looks similar in what is on each card.

I will (a) try again later, and (b) probably pick up another card later today.
I'm still not convinced the card is not faulty somehow, ie - format?

So Home shows the items on the TomTom, but TomTom won't start up? Does the TomTom show up in Windows explorer as a drive with those items on it? Or only through your card reader?

If windows recognize the card via the card reader then do this:
1- Copy the content of the card to the Hard disk
2- Right click on the card, format it as FAT32
3- Copy the content back

CTK2651, See... I told you not to give up just yet. This post isn't even 2 hours old and you have 3 possible solutions. :D Thanks fellas!!

Hopefully CTK2651 can stick around long enough to post a problem then try the fix instead of posting and leaving. ;)

battom ....

HEY! Wasn't posting and leaving... was posting and leaving on the road! Check in late tonight or tomorrow. Right now heading East.

Thanks everyone!

Ok folks, here’s what I’ve tried to get the brand new SanDisk Ultra II 2 gig to work.

1. Card is formatted as FAT or FAT 32 (same result) OEM TT One card is formatted as FAT32.
2. Card works as designed in my digital camera.
3. Card is recognized as a drive if plugged into card reader connected to PC.
4. Card is recognized as a drive if plugged into TomTom One and connected to computer, not TomTom Home.
5. Card is NOT recognized w/ data or w/o data if TomTom One is turned on and card is inserted when the unit asks for card.
6. If card is already in TomTom One and unit turns on the One appears/attempts to read card (progress bar loading) and then eventually just turns off.

Trials….
1. Copy OEM One card/data to PC and then copy data to new SanDisk card, insert card into One and it attempts to load/read and turns off.
2. Using TomTom Home and new maps DVD, install application and North America maps to One and insert card and it attempts to read and turns off.

I would check your format selection. Most cameras I have run into use FAT format, not FAT32. Took a old 1GB SD card that I had and re-formatted it using FAT. Works fine in TomTom One.

When I upgraded my card to a 2g, I used my Mac and didn't format the card at all. So I'm no help in terms of windows formatting.

Tried all of the above formatted as FAT and FAT32, same results.

I am wondering if it is the iMac, cause when I first used the card was w/ the Mac. Subsequent uses have all been on and w/ PC. Really a guess at this point.

I would check your format selection. Most cameras I have run into use FAT format, not FAT32. Took a old 1GB SD card that I had and re-formatted it using FAT. Works fine in TomTom One.

I think you have one or several files missing or corrupted.
When manipulating these, be sure to have all system or hidden files shown.
If you don't have the original card (or its good backup), your only alternative is talking to TomTom ... which can be frustrating !:D
The first thing I do after the purchase, is to rush out & buy 2 G card, transfer the original to it, and keep it in a safe place.
Also I keep backing up regularly the new card after every updates I take from TomTom.
You will find that TomTom Home can be a very nasty little program. Turn off your TomTom not the right way, your DSL line goes down while taking an update ... can bring serious headache.
I avoid using that as much as I can (I use a card reader, or just let windows treats my TomTom like a removable device).

SUCCESS!

The ONE does not like the SanDisk Ultra II. Picked up an PONY 2gig and worked like a charm.

Ask a Question