One Itinerary over multiday drive questions

F22

This came up in a response I provided in a Tyre thread but got me thinking (dangerous, I know)

I have created an Itinerary from Tacoma, Wa to Lee Vining, Ca, about 1,200 miles. It appears to be the route I want all the way. At certain intersections, I placed waypoints just past certain crucial intersections so that TT was forced beyond an intersection where TT might have chosen left (Highway X) or right (Highway Y) when _I_ wanted only the LEFT (Highway X).

This planned as a flexible, multiday drive. So I don't know exactly where I will stop/start each day and only have the OVERALL Itinerary. What I'm not sure about is what happens at the end of a day and the start of the next day. If I run that same Itinerary, will TT want to get my back to Tacoma to restart the Itinerary? Or will it pick up my route as I start driving south??

I think as long as you don't 'clear route' you'll be okay the next day. Just turn the power off when you stop for the evening, and back on in the morning. TT should pick up where it left off.

But... what if you want to navigate to a POI for dinner after your stop? Will this mess up your stored itinerary and where you start from? Not real sure until I try this out myself. If it does I guess you could mark the way-points as visited, but that may be lots of way-points. :rolleyes:

I think as long as you don't 'clear route' you'll be okay the next day. Just turn the power off when you stop for the evening, and back on in the morning. TT should pick up where it left off.

But... what if you want to navigate to a POI for dinner after your stop? Will this mess up your stored itinerary and where you start from? Not real sure until I try this out myself. If it does I guess you could mark the way-points as visited, but that may be lots of way-points. :rolleyes:

Your second paragraph nipped my question in the bud more or less. I was going to ask, what if I wanted to play or explore other destinations or view a video or play music and navigation/route was still ON???? I guess a real world test will be in order.

You will have to experiment with this before leaving. As far as I can see, even if you clear a route, when you go to the Itinerary section, your last itinerary will still be there. By pressing 'Done', it will restart the navigation of the itinerary.

This is what you should check. Are the waypoints that you have already passed marked as 'visited'? If so, the TomTom may just start you from where you are to get you to the next unvisited waypoint.

If the waypoints are not marked 'visited', then you can do it manually.

You will have to experiment with this before leaving. As far as I can see, even if you clear a route, when you go to the Itinerary section, your last itinerary will still be there. By pressing 'Done', it will restart the navigation of the itinerary.

This is what you should check. Are the waypoints that you have already passed marked as 'visited'? If so, the TomTom may just start you from where you are to get you to the next unvisited waypoint.

If the waypoints are not marked 'visited', then you can do it manually.

I just started using itineraries recently, as a convenient way of entering multiple service call addresses before leaving for work in the morning. After arriving at each stop I turned off the TT. When I finished a service call and was ready to head to the next one, I turned on my TT and, as long as TT thought I had already arrived at the previous service call address, it was already marked as visited. So, when I told it to "start" navigating, it calculated a route to the next destination in the itinerary. If for some reason it didn't think I had arrived, I just marked the previous destination as visited and continued as normal.

I didn't actually calculate other routes in the middle of using the itinerary, or use waypoints instead of destinations, so I can't say how doing so might affect the use of itineraries.

Ask a Question