ONE IQ Routes (UK) - Unable to BackUp, No Start Up Screen either?

Discussion in 'Maps and Routing' started by BondJamesBond, Feb 17, 2010.

1. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond

TomTom Model(s):
    ONE IQ Routes (UK) Edition
    Hi everyone,

I have been a dedicated TomTom user for years and had a new One IQ Routes Edition (UK) for Christmas. I downloaded HOME which worked fine, until recently. I am unable to back up the device whatever I do, I have copied and pasted below the error message in HOME. I have also lost the TomTom start up screen?

Any help or information (in plain English please) regarding what the problem is would be much appreciated. I think it may be something to do with the unusual named files, when I look at them in Explorer, the file names appear to be written in symbols? I'm at a loss?

Many thanks again.

Bond

ERROR: DesktopLib/FileCopy/Error: An error occurred. Unable to create the files required to copy this item to your computer.
    @ .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp(137)
    An error occurred while reading this file: "F:\abcd.ef"
    An error occurred while writing to this file: "C:\Users\Geoff\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\ONE\Backup01\InternalMemory\abcd.ef"
    in .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp:137
    Stack:
    0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
    error(textOrException);
    1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
    this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
    2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
    return func.apply(obj, arguments);
    3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
    this._errorCallback(e);
    4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
    this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 21:27:19 GMT[/COLOR]

BondJamesBond, Feb 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. BondJamesBond

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Somehow, files have become corrupt on your unit. We've seen this before (perhaps not disconnecting the unit properly from the computer when info was still being written to the flash drive?).

Be that as it may, we don't recommend backups using Home anyway.....we suggest Explorer. If not sure how, see here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

If you ARE successful using Explorer, then format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then restore your Explorer backup.

If Explorer 'complains' during the backup process (I suspect it will) then use Explorer to copy the folders (and contents) as well as the loose files not in any folders to your backup on the computer, one by one.

The most impportant folder to backup is your specific map folder (Western_Europe or similar).

I suspect you may be able to copy all folders and files that are not corrupt. (Check that you COULD copy your map folder)

Once you've done all the copying you can then, in Explorer, highlight the drive depicted by the tomtom. Go to Properties....Advanced.......and select format (not quickformat). If given a choice, you want fat32.

Then copy back the Explorer backup.

dhn, Feb 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond

TomTom Model(s):
    Hi dhn and many thanks for your response. I think I know what to do now and yes, the files do appear corrupt plus they're empty (size- 0 bytes)

This may be a silly question, when I backup the files to my hard drive using Explorer, presumably I don't copy over the corrupt files as well, just the files that appear ok (map, etc). If any files are missing, then presumably this will be corrected next time I log on to HOME?

Then format the F: drive and copy everything back over.

Presumably, then I can go onto HOME>check for updates and this should fix any other errors. Then once working fine, I can still use HOME for updates, map sharing etc but just DON'T use HOME for backups.

I am correct?

Thanks again, your assistance is much appreciated. :)

Bond

BondJamesBond, Feb 18, 2010
  4. BondJamesBond

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    Correct, don't copy the corrupt files.

And again correct, use Explorer for your backups/restores but Home for mapshare or quickgpsfix files.

You needn't make backups for these 'minor' files since you can always re-download them if necessary. It's always the map itself you want protected by backing up new versions.

dhn, Feb 18, 2010
  5. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond

TomTom Model(s):
    Excellent, many thanks. I'll give it a go later and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
    Bond

BondJamesBond, Feb 18, 2010
  6. BondJamesBond

BondJamesBond

TomTom Model(s):
    Hi again dhn,

Mission Accomplished, I did as described and the unit is now working. I made an Explorer backup (excluding the corrupt files), formatted the TomTom then copied and pasted the files back over, obviously I didn't include the corrupt files!!

Then the unit wouldn't boot! Arghhhh....So, I logged onto HOME, went to Manage my TomTom, deleted the Software Application on the device, went to Updates and re-installed the Software Application. Unit restarted a few times then HEY PRESTO....everything is working fine. Phew. Plus I now have a good working Explorer Back Up saved in case of any future disaster. Great.

Anyway, many thanks again for your invaluable help and assistance, your expertise and advice on this forum is second to none!!

Perhaps this thread could be added as a sticky as I suspect this is a common occurence?

Thanks again.

:):):):):):):):):)

Bond

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    BondJamesBond, Feb 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question