Old Question..but need an answer on POI

TomTom Model(s)
Go720 (3rd unit...2 stolen)
I recently picked a "new" used 720. Had my 920 stolen.

I am trying to add some POI I got from POIFriends. .bmp/.ov2

I notice that when I go into the map folder on my 720, North_AM...there are only DAT, DCT and some other unreadable files. I have c/p my 3 sets of .bmp/.ov2 files into that folder as my past searching seems to indicate, that is where these files are to be c/p.

I also notice that there is a folder called "brands"...and it appears that is where all the .bmp's (US only I might add), are stored.

Can someone shed some light as to what this is, how that works and why, when I add my files to it..that they should also work.? I'm just trying to understand the process....and am a bit :confused:

Many thanx,

Theo

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740TM Live, GO 1535 Live, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, TomTom Bridge
I recently picked a "new" used 720. Had my 920 stolen.

I am trying to add some POI I got from POIFriends. .bmp/.ov2

I notice that when I go into the map folder on my 720, North_AM...there are only DAT, DCT and some other unreadable files. I have c/p my 3 sets of .bmp/.ov2 files into that folder as my past searching seems to indicate, that is where these files are to be c/p.

I also notice that there is a folder called "brands"...and it appears that is where all the .bmp's (US only I might add), are stored.

Can someone shed some light as to what this is, how that works and why, when I add my files to it..that they should also work.? I'm just trying to understand the process....and am a bit :confused:

Many thanx,

Theo
There two versions of POI files -- one is the locked down version that comes with your map (you will note the crpoi.dat and poi.dat files). You'll find these are mildly encrypted. The *.bmp files in the "brand" folder deal with specific icons associated with various of the TomTom supplied POIs. All of the "custom" POI files are the *.ov2 files in your map folder, and associated *.bmp files for icons if they don't use a default icon.

For custom POI, you've already done the right thing -- copy the *.ov2 and any associated *.bmp into the North American map folder. Don't put your *.bmp files in the "brands" folder.

Ask a Question