Old, New, Stolen, Recovered...Yes, Recovered :-)

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330S and GO 700
Hello,

Guess I will throw my quite unique story here as an intro. Have had a GO 700 for more than three years. It's getting pretty tired now, both the original and quite expensive and tedious replacement batteries have died, screen is quite dim and hard to see in the daytime, original mount broke, etc.

My dad bought us a new XL 330S on sale a while back. I dabbled with whether to trade it in on a 730T for quite a bit more money, but decided that it was nice enough for our needs and decided to keep it. Love the screen, size, mount, volume and POI database compared to the old 700. Power-on to GPS lock time is amazing.

Two weeks later, it gets stolen out of the unlocked vehicle in the driveway (Thanksgiving Day). FSCK. Probably should consider locking my doors since I live in South Florida :rolleyes: Since I had never gotten the Operate my XL feature working in Home, I didn't have a pin set to lock the owner info. Write that one off...

So, stick the 700 back in the truck and 4 days later it gets stolen...from the same vehicle in the same driveway...with the same unlocked doors :eek: The wife was extremely :mad: to say the least. I clearly remember the words "there will not be one dollar spent on GPS systems from now on" being issued.

When I report them to the police, they tell me they caught a kid in my neighborhood with some stolen stuff and one of the items is a TomTom. Long story short, this punk was buddies with my next door neighbor and had been hitting the neighborhood for a while...laptops, phones, iPods, GPSs, you name it. It was interesting to see that most of my neighbors hadn't been keeping their doors locked either.

So, I get the old one back and start trying to figure how I am going to convince the wife that I learned my lesson and deserve to buy another one. Life goes on, right. Last night, out of the blue, I get a call from the Hollywood PD who just stopped a group of kids in a Durango that they knew were habitual troublemakers, searched the vehicle and found my 330S! I went over immediately, identified it and got it back...along with the mount and power cord (which had been separated). Still looks brand new. The kid from last night is not the kid that originally stole it.

One punk is still in jail. Both have felony convictions coming. I think I should go try my luck on the lottery... :D

Welcome......interesting story. Glad things worked out for you.

BTW, when are you moving out of 'Crime City'?:D :eek: :cool:

Its always nice to hear when people get there stuff back. Even more so over a long period of time. I had a 3-Wheeler stolen years ago and after about a year of not having it I got a call from the local police asking about a 3-wheeler and wouldnt ya know it, It was mine. :D

The kids got caught riding in a housing development at night and wrecking stuff, Cops went to look at the registration for all the kids as they were all under 18 and only the 3 wheeler had it all missing and wouldn't ya know it, He never opened the tool pouch ever and it had one of my old business cards in it that happened to have a picture of me on that said 3-wheeler and they called me asking if I knew anything about it and I said it was stolen from me about a year ago. lol After coming down with the original title for it and the original police report I got my 3-wheeler back. And in very sad shape too. And it was only about 2 miles from my house the entire time.

Strange things do take place. Had a kid steal some stuff from my car in my parent's driveway. Called the police who came and said no way to trace anything. Went back out to the car about an hour later and most of the stuff was brought back.

This is why I never leave my TT in my car, even my car is crappy, lot of dents and rust, he he he. Even if I go to Mcdonalds on my trip, I take my TT out and keep in my pocket. Printed directions dosent work for me cuz I get lost with them, so No GPS = No driving on freeways.

Ask a Question