Okay, I'm obviously an idiot

I like to think of myself as fairly computer savvy and can certainly follow directions. However, I've read the User Guide for my new 720 and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to upload an .itn file to my TomTom. I created the file and converted it to the proper .itn file type but I can't figure out how to upload it. By looking at the User Guide, you'd never know you could do this at all.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Theresa

What you need to do is got to itinerary planning on the TomTom device, this will then create an ITN folder on the device. You then just drag and drop the .itn file into this folder and it should appear in your list of itineraries.

I like to think of myself as fairly computer savvy and can certainly follow directions. Theresa

Me too. And somtimes I stumble across, what most would consider a simple 101 procedure, and it just don't click. Wev'e all been there :)

Below is a link i've used many times. Please make certain you scroll to the very bottom. There's the details of how to make it all work. [and it does quite well]

http://www.gravoplex.com/tomtom/google_driving_directions_to_tomtom_itn.html

http://www.gravoplex.com/tomtom/google_driving_directions_to_tomtom_itn.html

Last edited:
Just a thought...

Make sure your 'itn' file ends in 'itn' and not 'itn.txt'. That's an easy mistake to make :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick responses.

I appear to be having an issue with the device. As per your advice, I tried to go to "Itinerary Planning", there isn't one. I checked the User Guide and it says that if it isn't showing, then possibly some of the menu items are hidden...nope...checked preferences to be sure.

Is Itinerary planning inside of another menu option?

I checked the User Guide and it says that if it isn't showing, then possibly some of the menu items are hidden...nope...checked

You're gonna get this....no problem

For a little more detailes instructions.... [this might help you]

HERE: http://www.houghi.org/tomtom/

"After downloading the route file (.itn type) to your computer, connect your device (or memory card) to your computer and copy the file to the itn folder on your memory card. If no itn folder exists, you can easily create one. On your TomTom, select Itinerary planning from the main menu and a folder named itn will be created automatically.

Cross-border routes may require you to switch maps. If your maps are on different memory cards, copy the .itn file to both cards. If any of the waypoints on your route are outside the active map, they will be shown crossed out.

To start navigating, go to Itinerary planning on your TomTom. Select Options, Load itinerary, select the file you just copied and select Done."

Okay, managed to get to Itinerary Planning by disconnecting the TT from my computer. I thought you were able to use Itinerary Planning while connected, but I guess not. It didn't even show as a possibility anywhere.

So now that I'm in Itinerary planning, what do I do? I don't see an option to create a file.

You create the itinerary by clicking on 'Add'. Then you get 2 pages of options of how you want to make your waypoints.

Tip: If you use 'Point on map' and it is a 4-lane highway, make sure that you zoom in very close to be sure that you mark the waypoint in the correct lane!

When your list of waypoints is finished, make sure that the last one is a 'destination', not a 'waypoint'. (It must have a checkered flag.) You get the option of changing the destination to a waypoint by highlighting it.

Save it, give it a name, and you can call it up anytime.

Okay, managed to get to Itinerary Planning by disconnecting the TT from my computer. I thought you were able to use Itinerary Planning while connected, but I guess not. It didn't even show as a possibility anywhere.

So now that I'm in Itinerary planning, what do I do? I don't see an option to create a file.

Now that you have been to IP if you reconnect to the computer the ITN folder should be there. You can now drag and drop .itn files into this folder and they will appear in the list of saved itineraries.

Ask a Question