ok this is annoying, when i zoom in , it will zoom back out automaticly!!!!

I travel quite a bit and would like to occasionally use the "browse map" feature to zoom out and get an overview of the route and area. When I'm near home this feature works quite well. But when I've travelled away from the area and go to "browse map" it centers me in my home area - in my case, Salem, OR. For example, yesterday I was near Byron, IL and on the way toward O'Hare but wanted to see how close I was to I-55 since there was a client near there. I wanted to use the browse feature but it reverted the map center to my home area. However, If I asked it to chart a course to "home" I could hit the browse feature and it would then give me a map with my current location centered instead of home - but ony if I had asked it to chart a course home instead of a destination near my present location. In a strange city (such as Toronto) I'd like to have the feature available to see an area overview. OK - I'll be the first to admit that's why the rent a car companies give you a map but it would be nice to have the GPS do that for you.
If you're away from home and open the browse map feature, click on the "Find" button, then the right arrow, then click on "My location". The map will center on your GPS location.

Yes, like most of you, the ZOOM OUT is very annoying! This came built in to our car, but previous Honda used Garmin (worked a treat).
For my money, am going to use Google maps paired to the car via Bluetooth, this seems to be about the right scale for me, then auto zooms in at key junctions, then back out to a sensible scale.
Captain Sensible

Yes, like most of you, the ZOOM OUT is very annoying! This came built in to our car, but previous Honda used Garmin (worked a treat).
For my money, am going to use Google maps paired to the car via Bluetooth, this seems to be about the right scale for me, then auto zooms in at key junctions, then back out to a sensible scale.
Captain Sensible
Q1: Is this only happening in 2D (map) mode?

Q2: Does your system not have a setting for zoom = next turn / road type / none?
The standalone units do.

Yes, when in 2D and 3D.
Yes, all the usual settings, one of them does hold the zoom level but then doesn't scroll / re-centre, so I have to press re-centre as the cursor arrow trips off the screen. For me, Google maps is the way forward unless/until Tom Tom beat the drum and get it sorted.
Tootle pip.

Yes, when in 2D and 3D.
Yes, all the usual settings, one of them does hold the zoom level but then doesn't scroll / re-centre, so I have to press re-centre as the cursor arrow trips off the screen. For me, Google maps is the way forward unless/until Tom Tom beat the drum and get it sorted.
Tootle pip.
What kind of vehicle are you driving, and what version of TomTom is inbuilt?

Ask a Question