oh dear! Corrupted maps.

TomTom Model(s)
go 730
Hello,

I tried to update my maps today and the unit is now saying "no maps found" when I try to start it up. I am using a Windows 7 PC which seems to keep getting slower and freezing up, so I guess that's the cause of my problems. The Win PC is almost unusable now as it takes 5 / 10 minutes to boot and then gets slower and slower. (I've checked it for Viruses - but that's another story)

I don't have a backup any more, is there any way I can get the maps back?

Have tried holding down the reset button for 15 seconds, but that just seems to reset the unit but not the contents of the memory.

Thanks,

Steve

No Joy.

I'm afraid I'm having no luck. The Win 7 PC is so slow I can't even move the mouse around once it's booted, let alone start windows explorer.

Is there any other way I can get them back, even to the original version that came with the TomTom?

Steve

Sorry no... not without buying a new map. That's why making (and keeping!) backups is so important. What happened to yours?

Anyway it looks like you need a Windows help forum first.
If you can nurse the PC back to some sort of health, we can have another go.

But DON'T follow any advice to reformat the PC drive before reinstalling Windows, otherwise your last hope of finding those TT maps will be gone.

Hi,

I'm happy to buy new maps, if that will sort it out. Would have had to do that anyway, as they are a couple of years out of date (I was only updating the free stuff). I'm pretty sure the Windows machine is a lost cause, as it's pretty much falling apart anyway, but it's the last Windows machine in the house as the rest are Linux and one iMac. Guess I'll have to connect the TomTom to my wife's iMac.

Steve

Ask a Question