OffRoad 1.7 on Code 7.221 -- no G

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
Well -- fat fingered that one. Was supposed to say

" no GPS"

OffRoad Navigator version 1.7 downloaded and installed today. Got the config file mod taken care of, so the primary screens work OK (not garbled), but ...

Running firmware version 7.221.

My problem is that OffRoad doesn't seem to be picking up ANY GPS data from the TT720. Not even the time is being displayed in the upper right corner. Per the 720's own GUI, I have several satellites with a normal current position fix, but when I go to OffRoad, I get no position display on the left side of the screen and the compass never does anything when I move.

Is anyone getting this to work on a 720, and is there any other magic involved? Author seems to believe current 1.7 version should be at least party usable, but no luck at all.

FYI - here are my current config file settings via manual edit. I have set the "targetdistance" to 1 as well as leaving it at the default of 100. None made any difference, although I understand "1" meter to be preferable for things like geocaching.

[Other parameters]
language english.lng
units english
colorscheme night
targetdistance 10
gmtoffset -7
geoidfix no 48
coordinates degminute
snapping no
mapfile
[Manual parameters]
processperiod 500
[Colors parameters]
topforegroundcolors 0,0,0 255,255,255 204,204,204
bottomforegroundcolors 255,255,255 255,255,255 204,204,204
topbackgroundcolors 255,255,255 0,0,0
bottombackgroundcolors 0,0,128 0,0,128
linescolors 204,204,204 204,204,204
labelcolors 255,0,0 255,255,0
daybackground
nightbackground
screenadaptation rider2
[End]

Me too!!

Did you have any luck Canderson in getting yours to work? I too just installed Offroad Navigator and "fixed" the config file, but I get no GPS updates, even with a strong signal. I wonder if there is a special trick to get this to work.

Any body have any ideas??

who8

Did you have any luck Canderson in getting yours to work? I too just installed Offroad Navigator and "fixed" the config file, but I get no GPS updates, even with a strong signal. I wonder if there is a special trick to get this to work.

Any body have any ideas??

who8
Subsequently heard back from the author after I PM'd him, and he acknowledges that it doesn't work on his 720 either even though it was expected that it would. Not sure when a fix will become available. Will post if I hear anything further.

I don't suppose you've tried one of his other programs like Tripmaster? I wonder if that one still works with the current 720. I may give it shot this this weekend just to see. If Tripmaster still works then I guess there is hope that the author can get Offroad Navigator to work again too.

Hello,

Offroad Navigator v1.7b is available for download.

This version fixes a problem on GOx20, which avoids Offroad to start. This is due to the activation/disactivation snapping functionality, which is not supported by the SIRF module of these devices.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk
Excellent! Will be right over to have a look and report back! Your prompt fix is most appreciated.

Hello,

Offroad Navigator v1.7b is available for download.

This version fixes a problem on GOx20, which avoids Offroad to start. This is due to the activation/disactivation snapping functionality, which is not supported by the SIRF module of these devices.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/offroad.php?lang=uk
roussillat -- I am getting the 1.7A version using the web page download link (9 October), not the new 1.7B version.

Hey thanks too for the quick turnaround! But I'm also getting the old 1.7a version on the download.

great work BTW!

who8

You're right, I had forgotten to modify the download script... Fixed.
At first, the latitude was a little balky about updating, but now it seems to be working well. I will take it for a "test walk" later this afternoon ... but I think you have solved the problem.

Here is what I am now using for a configuration. I need for you to tell me if, at elevation of about 1500 meters, if I should have the "Geoid Fix" on or off. As I understand what this does, I think it should be ON, and this does produce a more accurate altitude result. I do not know what the meaning of the "48" is, though. What are the units, and what is appropriate for a given condition?

[Other parameters]
language english.lng
units english
colorscheme day
targetdistance 1
gmtoffset -7
geoidfix yes 48
coordinates degminute
snapping no
mapfile
[Manual parameters]
processperiod 500
[Colors parameters]
topforegroundcolors 0,0,0 255,255,255 204,204,204
bottomforegroundcolors 255,255,255 255,255,255 204,204,204
topbackgroundcolors 255,255,255 0,0,0
bottombackgroundcolors 0,0,128 0,0,128
linescolors 204,204,204 204,204,204
labelcolors 255,0,0 255,255,0
daybackground
nightbackground
screenadaptation rider2
[End]

I need for you to tell me if, at elevation of about 1500 meters, if I should have the "Geoid Fix" on or off.

Geoid fix has nothing to see with altitude accuracy, but with the fact that our Earth is not a perfect sphere. The GPS system does all its calculation with this hypothesis and geoid fix is introduced to correct this false hypothesis.

Some Tomtom devices do the geoid fix correction themselves. They don't need geoid fix to be set. Other don't, mainly the older ones.

OffRoad 1.7B Now OK w/NavCore7!

Geoid fix has nothing to see with altitude accuracy, but with the fact that our Earth is not a perfect sphere. The GPS system does all its calculation with this hypothesis and geoid fix is introduced to correct this false hypothesis.

Some Tomtom devices do the geoid fix correction themselves. They don't need geoid fix to be set. Other don't, mainly the older ones.
OK. It sound like I can leave that option "Off".

OK -- for all of you that have been wondering about OffRoad, Version 1.7B seems to be working well on my 720, so it should work correctly on the 920, too (or anything else with NavCore7). I will continue to play with it a bit over the next few days. The only problems are the sometimes difficult setup screens, and sometimes it is easier to use the config file with a text editor, but the main function seems to be very good now.

Many thanks, roussillat, for your kind attention to the problems of the new owners of TomTom devices. You can be sure I will be visiting your site again soon.

Has anyone gotten Offroad1.7b to work well on a One (especially a 3rd Edition One, if that makes any difference)?

I have it installed, but I find that:

• It's too unresponsive as I walk around. It could be a configuration problem, but if that's the problem I don't know what to change. I have already changed the Target Distance parameter to "1" and the Coordinates to "Real", but that didn't improve Offroad's responsiveness.
  • Even though I've modified the config file, I still find the Setup screens difficult to use. When I first push the Setup button, the setup screen looks good. But as soon as I make a selection, everything gets jumbled. The same is true on other screens, such as the Choose a Favorite screen. As soon as I try to scroll through the list of favorites, the screen gets jumbled.

Is anyone with Offroad installed on a One getting better results?

Has anyone gotten Offroad1.7b to work well on a One (especially a 3rd Edition One, if that makes any difference)?

I have it installed, but I find that:
  • It's too unresponsive as I walk around. It could be a configuration problem, but if that's the problem I don't know what to change. I have already changed the Target Distance parameter to "1" and the Coordinates to "Real", but that didn't improve Offroad's responsiveness.
  • Even though I've modified the config file, I still find the Setup screens difficult to use. When I first push the Setup button, the setup screen looks good. But as soon as I make a selection, everything gets jumbled. The same is true on other screens, such as the Choose a Favorite screen. As soon as I try to scroll through the list of favorites, the screen gets jumbled.
Is anyone with Offroad installed on a One getting better results?
The configuration is a bit messy. So far, I've made the requisite adjustments directly through the config file as did you. I also make it simple on myself by setting up "Favorites" when I need to use it to navigate somewhere since those are easily enough seen and selected in the OffRoad menu system.

As for responsiveness, I've had numerous moments where the responsiveness was only sluggish for N/S coordinate changes, and E/W changes were pretty much in realtime. Was your experience similar?

Of interest -- the problem isn't with OffRoad Navigator -- it's with the 720. Touch the "bars" on your unit. Walk 50 feet E/W and watch the numbers update. Then walk 50 feet N/S and watch them sit there just looking at you. Hmmm...

It appears that unless you put either some real zip into the speed you walk or go a fair distance, the 720 doesn't always want to update the latitude information.

Last edited:
The configuration is a bit messy. So far, I've made the requisite adjustments directly through the config file as did you. I also make it simple on myself by setting up "Favorites" when I need to use it to navigate somewhere since those are easily enough seen and selected in the OffRoad menu system.

As for responsiveness, I've had numerous moments where the responsiveness was only sluggish for N/S coordinate changes, and E/W changes were pretty much in realtime. Was your experience similar?

Of interest -- the problem isn't with OffRoad Navigator -- it's with the 720. Touch the "bars" on your unit. Walk 50 feet E/W and watch the numbers update. Then walk 50 feet N/S and watch them sit there just looking at you. Hmmm...

It appears that unless you put either some real zip into the speed you walk or go a fair distance, the 720 doesn't always want to update the latitude information.

I haven't used it enough to notice that pattern. I'd make an Offroad configuration change, then I'd go outside and walk around my yard, always thinking to myself "This will not be acceptable during a hike".

Your Favorites suggestion would only work if the Favorite you want is at the top of the list, because as soon as I try to scroll through the list, the screen gets jumbled.

My hope is that there's a configuration change that I need to make, but it's possible that the One's CPU is just too slow to handle this task.

Ask a Question