[OFFICIAL] New Maps!!

Took a chance and loaded the maps. I chose the North America file and then installed it. First time something happened and the program froze at 14 percent with some file it could not open. Clicked done and then restarted the same process and it completed the file. I really cannot tell if it is different because one of the errors that I reported earlier is still there.

I did have my backup just in case. I made three recommendations for map corrections and none were included. I am not sure when these were finalized so I may have missed the deadline.

Geesh... is ANYONE having good luck with a "clean install" the first time?
Just received my DVD today! Doing my update as I write this!!! I'll update this when it's done!!!!!

Edit: It appears that my map upgrade went as expected and without issue. I inserted the DVD-ROM, TomTom Home auto launched, I then chose to update my North American maps (as well as the USA Satellite imagery). Although I had previously backed up my TomTom I didn't do anything before this update and have no issues!

Bryan

Last edited:
My update went very smoothly. I didn't have to manually delete my old map first, TomTom HOME did this for me during the installation. The progress bar indicated it was removing the old North America map and then indicated it was installing the new one. It took less than 20 minutes, maybe even less than 15. I then booted up my unit, and was able to find my brother's address - it was missing from the previous map data.

My Turn!

Guess what was in my mailbox when I got home today. :D

Weird thing though, it came from Fort Worth Texas???

I'll be installing after this post.

Mine came from Fort Worth, TX too. You would think I would have gotten mine quicker, as I live in TX! Glad everyone's is coming in.

Anyone else notice the TomTom application is slightly bigger and the USA and CANADA maps slightly smaller?

...still installing after full backup. No errors yet.
<fingers, toes, and eyes crossed>

I can't remember where I read this, I think in another forum, but I read that the application on the DVD is an older version. I didn't install the application, since I have 6.522 which I believe is the latest. Anyone else?

I got the disc today! The maps are being updated as I type this.

I'm going to browse the map in the areas I had trouble to see if it has been corrected. My fingers are crossed!

GREAT map update, well worth the wait!

Okay, a quick review, I installed the maps (without problems, although it was somewhat confusing on which map to select) and I checked all the areas where I had problems with the old map version.

I was skeptical when I ordered the maps because on my old version there were a TON of missing roads and inaccurate GPS positions and route calculations.

From what I've seen so far, Tomtom has 100% delivered! Seriously, WOW!

What Tomtom has fixed:

Version 6.50
1. Sitting at my home Tomtom calculated my position off by over a 100 yards on an adjacent street. Very frustrating. This version has me EXACTLY where I should be!
A+
2. My work location was off by a half mile on the old version. This may not seem as bad as it sounds, as yahoo maps and other map software actually have it in the wrong city (government error). This version has my workplace exactly where it should be!
A+++++
3. At work, Tomtom was missing major roads that had been established for over 10 years. This version not only has the missing old roads, it has roads that are just finished. The exit ramp near my house underwent a MAJOR renovation and is yet to be completed, this map version shows the exit ramp routed as it will be this summer. Tomtom tells the future!
A++++
4. Routing, while still a little off (not the quickest routes, nor most efficient routes to some locations) do seem improved. But this could still use some work. Maybe they have the speed limits wrong on some roads I take, but no big deal, at least it will take you to the exact right spots now. I haven't yet tested it out on the roads yet, but I did a few simulated runs, worked better.
B

I'm now REALLY glad I stuck with Tomtom instead of trading it in on a Garmin. If I hadn't seen the press release on the new map release after Christmas, I would have traded it in on an inferior and more expensive Garmin unit.

Overall grade on the new map version:
A!!!!

If the fix the routing a little (I feel it's just tweaking the speed limits) Tomtom may overtake Garmin as the leader in the US. The interface is already a leagues ahead of Garmin and other manufacturers and the quality seems to be top notch.

Did I say I was pleased? :D

Awesome news, thanks for sharing. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for from people all over the US!

Yes, thank you for sharing. I'm out in the sticks and my work is on a new road..well new for here. About 5 years old I think? it's just a U shaped road off a main drag. Even though TomTom can find the address, when it comes time to route me there, the map shows me parking about .25 miles into the woods. Tomorrow we'll see how it does. That and the route it will take me on the way home when i need to enter the highway right across the interestion yet it tells me to turn left and take the 3rd right.

Great news about the map updates. Tele Atlas really does supply great maps and its good to know that TT is making the newest updates available for free to x10 owners.

I've had very positive experiences with the process of ordering and receiving the map update. I ordered the update on 12/27/06 and received the DVD in Arizona on 1/11/07.

However, the process of updating from Nav. 5 to Nav. 6 and the corresponding maps on my Treo 750 seemed to go well until I tried to run Nav. 6. I received the "SD Card ejected Error #2" message. Deleting all files related to both Nav. programs and starting the installation process scratch appeared to solve the problem for several program runs last night and this morning. Then this afternoon, I received the same error message. Ejecting and re-inserting the card seemed to make Nav. 6 happy as the program ran without problems. Hopefully this won't be a reoccurring issue.

From what I have seen so far of the map updates for my geographic area, they are quite current and the problems that I reported have been incorporated in this new version.

version of new maps?

I got my new maps loaded tonight without issue. My maps now show version v650.1073. Can someone confirm this is the new map? The installation showed the map was 982 mb (or something like that) and my installed maps where 1.2 gb prior to the upgrade. After the upgrade my installed map was still 1.2 gb.

That didn't make sense to me.

Thanks,

Doug

DA-Bucks. Nice review. I also upgraded from TT nav 2005 to Nav 6. I'm using a treo 700p (palm.) You mentioned:

"If the fix the routing a little (I feel it's just tweaking the speed limits"

what did you mean by that? the new maps work fine, but they don't calculate the most efficient route. Thanks in advance for any suggestions yu may have.

what did you mean by that? the new maps work fine, but they don't calculate the most efficient route. Thanks in advance for any suggestions yu may have.

That's exactly what I meant. The maps will get you to the destination, but sometimes they don't take you on the most efficient route.

I was tired when I wrote my last post, so the grammar isn't exactly up to par. ;)

Overall Tomtom does a very good job with how it takes you to a destination, but there are a few cases where it will take you on a route that is clearly not the quickest (but in the cases I've seen it's only a 3-5 minute delay from the best possible route).

Not a big deal if you are in an area you are unfamiliar with, but just a little annoying if you know there are several obvious better ways to get to that destination.

Ask a Question