Official: Cannot Search By Exits

I was thinking about this all day.... And I wonder.... the Maps that came on the Upgrade DVD has "major roads of the us" or "na"... I wonder if THAT map has searchable exits....

I have enough room on my 4GB card... I'm going to test that unless someoen else already has that map loaded?

I know you posted your results in another thread but maybe post here too or redirect to the other thread?

what the same hell happend to my signature..... YIKES!!!!
Good point Nexty... I'll refernce that post... standby

OK, I give up.
Try to convince Bobaloolie to stay with TomTom, but it looks like a lost cause.
By the way I posted the Bridge POI so at least you can search for George Washington bridge ... next time.
Also try to familiarize with Itinary Planning of the TomTom, it may help while waiting for the new Maestro.
Good luck with your GPS search.

I bought TomTom last month BECAUSE I had tested the Nuvi and Magellan. There's far better features in my opinion.

We are using Itinerary planning on this trip (10 000 miles in total) through Canada and the U.S. But lec510, there are several unplanned destinations in between, some that come up while you're driving...

I appreciate your eagerness to help. But the simple fact is that making exits a destination is the solution, for the simple fact it IS a valid destination for several people---if not one of the most frequent searches for truckers, even if it's just to know how far away the exit is that you're headed for.

It must be useful information if every other GPS unit makes this information available.

This will become a WIP (Work In Progress) for someone to make a POI for this. Maybe a bunch of us can take 1 state and them combine? bobaloolie does have a point.... his POI request ...if it even was a request is rather HUGE... but I think if we all make a plan, we could get it done! Bobalooloe, ddi you see my post about using the Major roads Map? Maybe use that one for exits and the other for when you get off the highways?

just an idea...

Hey battom,

Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

I installed the Major Roads maps. They are no different, I have found (other than in the Major maps, smaller roads don't appear.) Some exits are in fact available, but they are the same ones as in the North American maps. Why exactly TomTom has only a few exits listed is beyond me.

The information on exits IS already within the maps (as confirmed by a Tele-Atlas tech). He said it is a matter of TomTom utilizing that info.

Making exits into a POI database is, as you say, an enormous task. I think it would be much simpler if TomTom simply accessed info that's already there.

Can't shoot me for trying.... sorry! I wonder... could an individual purchase the data from TA and convert it to be read my a TomTom via one of the many 3rd party apps we have here.... hhmmmmm

Well, Bob has a point and I do understand what he is talking about.
From what I have noticed about TT ONE so far is that it is a GPS for
people who are driving a car. Bob is driving a bus... and needs those...
For example, I have posted about a routing that took me out of a highway
(I-95/turnpike) and placing me back in... One of the comments was correct
that if you take car/truck lanes rather than just car lane, it will do that...

So, in other words, I understand what you are saying Bob.
But I think people in the forums are eager to help you make some POIs to fit
this need. I will help out with this project~! count me in for NJ!
Oh yeah.... MIKE~!!! make this one with me! :)

Howdy!

As you've read, I travel throughout North America. So I do need to acquire exit information for all of NA.

If someone figures out an efficient way to make this into POI's, I will certainly do my best to develop this info also.

Thanks!

(Battom, I would certainly be interesting if TA could provide such info in a different form. I know there are companies such as Zenrin (www.zenrin.com) who provide up-to-date info on NA exits. However, they license this info to companies like TomTom or other companies... probably costs a fortune).

OK, if we’re going to create this HWY EXIT POI then we need to establish criteria i.e. the type of road that is going to be listed and the info that should to be included about the exit!

Are we just talking about: Interstates/Turnpikes, Expressways, and Freeways - where commercial vehicles and omnibuses are allowed, or are Parkways (NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES ALLOWED ON PARKWAYS IN THE 5 BOROS OF NYC, BUT THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY IN NJ IS JUST THE OPPOSITE) and other limited access non-commercial vehicle routes to be included as well?

This can get confusing. We’ll have to determine what the commercial vehicle/ omnibus routes (as opposed to non-commercial vehicle / no omnibus routes) are in certain localities. Major cities in the northeast are notorious for non-commercial and height restricted routes going through the heart of them. We don’t want a TT user driving on a limited access - height restricted - non-commercial - no buses allowed route - ouch!!! Remember, touring busses (BOBALOOLIE), RV’s and 18 wheelers will be using this info!

We’ll need EXIT # ‘s obviously, but what other info should be included about the exit? And where do you get the most accurate info?

Sounds like a BIG undertaking, bit I think it can be done, especially with help from other FORUM members throughout the US.

One more thing, let’s all remember the KISS principal! :D

Mike L.

Last edited:
Exit Numbers are on Map

May be everyone is aware of this, but even though I can not search by exit numbers on I8 near San Diego I have discovered that they are displayed on the map.

Roger39,

Yes, you're correct---which is why it should be fairly straightforward for TomTom to make this information searchable. However, they have not indicated if they will in fact do this.

Ask a Question