Official: Cannot Search By Exits

The real question is, why has Tele-Atlas not indexed exits, which for all intents and purposes, are real, physical, address markers, with signs and all? It is included in Navteq maps, and for good reason: people search for exits.
well the good news is... TomTom NA is moving to Navteq maps. Rumor has it anyway! And I was a trucker once.... pulling over is no 'on the whim' thing at all!!!

I understand how you feel and perhaps we, as a TomTom community, can help out bobaloolie find a resolution so he keeps the TomTom instead of trying to find another way of doing what he wants.

Start searching the Internet for an "exits poi" in any format...we all know (those of us who've created POIs with software) that most formats can be converted to TomTom!! :D

where there's a will..there's a way...
where there's a way...there's a TomTom!!

tomtomusa.jpg

Last edited:
battom,

Thanks for this, I appreciate that. I did do a search a few days ago, and in the brief look I had, I could only find sites that license exit info to, I assume, GPS companies such as TomTom (which of course makes me wonder why they haven't taken advantage of this, if they haven't.)

So I will be checking back here regularily, and of course, will provide other users any feedback I find also.

Thanks again for your consideration!

Remember... TomTom is a UK based comapny and just recently became hugely popular int he States.... they have a lot of catching up to do on this side of the pond..... I'm certian they'll get there! in the mean-time... custom POIs from TTF are the way to go! ;)

...in the mean-time... custom POIs from TTF are the way to go! ;)

Absolutely... this forum is the most valuable resource I've found yet for the TomTom.

By the way, I've heard that a motorcycle version of the TomTom is using Navteq maps. I've read nothing else indicating current products will be moving to Navteq maps. But if they do, that would be great.

I heard back from Tele-Atlas. This was their reply:

Tele Atlas data does in fact contain exit information and this does include the exit number. However, I am not certain if TomTom utilizes this information or includes it as a 'potential destination' in their products. Please contact TomTom directly to obtain this information. What I can tell you with certainty is that our data does contain exit numbers which can be associated with the corresponding geographic location of that exit.

And this was TomTom's reply today:
In this case we recommend you to keep checking and registering for TomTom News and be first to hear about all the latest products and events, because unfortunately we are still working in the possibility to search for exits.

Last edited:
Well, I got stuck today without being able to search for an exit. It was a TA Travel Center not listed in the POI's, nor in some custom POI databases I had. The only info available was "Exit 57". I had to find it from the middle of a city I'd never been in, so had no clue how to get there.

I missed a turn, and by coincidence, the TomTom re-routed me down the interstate and back onto the ramp... for Exit 57. It even called it "Exit 57".

Why TomTom doesn't make this info searchable is unfortunate indeed.

I tried MS S&T.
Couldn't find 'Exit 57' whatsoever.
Can you be more specific, state name , what Intersate ... ?

Baltimore, Maryland (in this case): Exit 57, I-95.

I tried it on two other GPS units---an old Philips Carin and a Magellan 700, and they both found it.

OK here are the results of my search:

1- MS S&T could not find anything, but I could find the exit 57 by finding Baltimore, then drag & browse the map.

2- Google Earth couldn't find Exit 57, but could locate Travel of America Center at 5501 Odonnell St Cutoff, Baltimore, MD.

I think you should live with it, or for your next GPS purchase , be sure that it has this kind of search.
I assume , for the sake of safety you plan & go, impromptu searches like this are not to be done while driving. If the ad board says that T/A at Exit 57 while you are driving, can't you locate that ... using the road sign, when approaching it ?

I also want to add:
After you find your Exit 57, then what.
The loops look complicated, you might still have to drive around to find your T/A.

lec510,

Whether you search for exits or not is not the point: I do, quite often. Just today in New York City, our tour bus couldn't go through a tunnel because of propane on board. We were told to go to the George Washington Bridge, but had not signage or idea of how to get there (New York is a mess). Again, this is a type of exit. Think TomTom could find it? Nope. But the Navteq maps had it... the Magellan even asked if I wanted upper or lower deck.

The fact is, when looking for truckstops, exits are usually the only address listed in RV/truck directories. If you are already on the interstate, no problem. Turn the GPS off and read the signs. But if you're in the middle of an unfamilar city and need to find that exit for restaurant, truck stop, or whatever, you can't get there with the TomTom. Understand? I know what I'm talking about as this happened to us this week.

Tele-Atlas says this info is in the database. TomTom simply hasn't integrated it into the search. Which is plain dumb. Travel across North America as often as I do, and you'll begin to understand why this is important. Since the info IS in the database, I"m not going to live with it, but continue to request this information in the future updates.

I agree, it's nice to have - but only you can do now is changing the GPS ... or keep your Carin and/or Magellan.
What I wanted to show you is both Google Earth / MS S&T don't support that kind of search either ... So almost everybody is dumb according to you ?

... So almost everybody is dumb according to you ?

???

Sorry, you lost me with that one! But to clarify for your sake... why wouldn't TomTom utilize info that clearly some users need? Not you, of course, but truckers and others who regularly need to navigate to exits.

There are two options. One is that I return the TomTom and wait for Magellan's Maestro. The second option is that TomTom simply make exits part of the search.

Lastly, I'm referring to GPS units bought in stores. They all search for exits, except the TomTom. If I were you, I would encourage TomTom to make EVERY option available. Perhaps you have a lot of time to sort through Google Earth for the destinations you want. I don't. And from what I have seen thus far, TomTom's database is 7 years behind other GPS units and needs to sharpen their North American data.

Period.

Last edited:
>> Perhaps you have a lot of time to sort through Google Earth for the destinations you want.

No, it took 2 sec. Just type "Travel of America Center, Baltimore, MD". Not only it give the address, it get the lat, long - I can input these into the TomTom, and I am sure I will get there, while in your case, when exiting at # 57, if you don't locate that T/A visually then what do you do ? Turn left, turn right ... ? You can still get lost for a while.
Both MS Street & Trips and Google Earth are in the GPS game for the laptop, and they both don't support that kind of search.

>> Perhaps you have a lot of time to sort through Google Earth for the destinations you want.

No, it took 2 sec.

99% of my navigation occurs while driving, not sitting at my computer. And finding the business once I've arrived at the exit is the easy part. It's getting there from somewhere else, other than the highway, that is the hard part. I've been stuck by the TomTom five times now.

It's simple: make exits searchable.

99% of my navigation occurs while driving, not sitting at my computer. And finding the business once I've arrived at the exit is the easy part. It's getting there from somewhere else, other than the highway, that is the hard part. I've been stuck by the TomTom five times now.

I totally agree. IMHO TomTom's biggest weakness is its POI database (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
OK, I give up.
Try to convince Bobaloolie to stay with TomTom, but it looks like a lost cause.
By the way I posted the Bridge POI so at least you can search for George Washington bridge ... next time.
Also try to familiarize with Itinary Planning of the TomTom, it may help while waiting for the new Maestro.
Good luck with your GPS search.

With todays construction everywhere... I would think this not to be a viable option... the exit numbers change so much. How many times ahve youseen the green sign ont he side of the higway that says "Exit 21, formerly exit 3"???

Ask a Question