Off of Craigs List; things to consider?

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
In July I returned an XL 330S as I wasnt yet convinced it was the GPS for me (mostly do to the TeleAtlas maps) and had the opportunity to continue trying out a Magellan 4250.

Continuing to read this forum this past month I am more convinced that a properly updated and working TT has the best set of features. And I am hopeful that what I consider the short comings of Teleatlas versus Navteq (in my neck of the woods ie Ontario) will be overcome with time..hopefully sooner rather than later.

I am thinking of purchasing an unopened TT go730 (purchased from Dell.ca 15 days ago) off of Craig's List.

The seller claims he has the necessary documentation to take advantage of any warranty claims. He mentions the "packing slip" but I would think one would need more...the actual receipt?

I had previously installed TT Home and update the app and maps (7.20) on the earlier XL 330S. Is this going to cause problems when doing similarly for this 730?

And I believe one can update to the latest maps within 30 days of purchase?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
TomTom will not recognize a private person as an authorized reseller, regardless of what documentation the seller has. So, whether TT will accept required warranty work--if needed--is questionable.

Best you call TT Support and, if they say it is ok, get the ok in writing, not just verbally.

Better safe than sorry.

TomTom will not recognize a private person as an authorized reseller, regardless of what documentation the seller has.

Better safe than sorry

For sure I dont want to make a mistake but the only info that TT can see or be aware of is from the original receipt that shows the date and whom it was purchased from...in this case Dell (which for sure must be an authorized reseller). How is this different from a gift of a TT from one person to another person with a different name :confused: ? TomTom has no idea the circumstances of the later transaction.

Last edited:
We just play safe here, you can certainly try to do what you logically think best and let us know how it turns out. Best wishes to you.

You must create a new TT account with a new, different email address than the one you used for your XL.
This shouldn't be a conflict at all.

So if I call into TT I would ask if they will honor the 30 day map upgrade given that I received the unit as a gift from a friend and have the invoice in his name? And wouldnt one make any warranty claim through the reseller (Dell) rather than from TT?

So if I call into TT I would ask if they will honor the 30 day map upgrade given that I received the unit as a gift from a friend and have the invoice in his name? And wouldnt one make any warranty claim through the reseller (Dell) rather than from TT?

But does Dell allow the sale of an item from original buyer A to secondary purchaser B and still honour warranty claims from B?

But does Dell allow the sale of an item from original buyer A to secondary purchaser B and still honour warranty claims from B?

But Dell doesnt know it was resold. This situation must happen all the time ie one buys a Dell for another person and gives it to them as a gift. I find it hard to believe that any warranty claim subsequent must go through the original purchaser; instead it would go to the person with the receipt?

Best you call TT Support and, if they say it is ok, get the ok in writing, not just verbally.

Better safe than sorry.

I just got off the phone with TT and described the situation in which I had a receipt for a TT not in my name. Would I be entitled to the 30 day free map upgrades as well as any possible warranty claim in the future. She said for sure as TTs are often given as presents so it isnt unusual for the receipt to have a different name than the current owner. She gave me a reference number.

This makes me feel more secure making such a purchase.

Very good.

As I said, better safe than sorry.....

I'm sure you've read here of people who have gotten quite a hassle from TT when they've bought their units on ebay. So, I was just cautioning, that's all.

Very good.

As I said, better safe than sorry.....

I'm sure you've read here of people who have gotten quite a hassle from TT when they've bought their units on ebay. So, I was just cautioning, that's all.

For sure dhn. A phone call as you suggested was the way to be more sure.

Last edited:
So, whether TT will accept required warranty work--if needed--is questionable.

At first I had thought the warranty for the 730 would be with Dell as the unit was bought through Dell but now I think about it 3rd party purchases (non Dell products) would be warrantied with TT. What is involved sending a TT unit for warranty servicing to TomTom? (I am in Ontario)

I suspect you would need to call them, they'd issue a RMA and, I think, an envelope to send the unit in. Not sure, though.

Oh, don't be too sure about that. British users need to send their units back to The Netherlands for Warranty work.

But there must be people (in Canada or the USA) in these forums that have had to send in their TTs for warranty service :confused:. It is all done via courier? Just wondering about their experience.

I've sent my 910 under Warranty.
You need to contact them. If they can't help over the phone/email, then they will issue you an RMA# to send the product to them.
They will request you to send the unit in with all the cables but not the mount.

I received a refurb 910 replacement which I have no problems with.

Ask a Question