Odd response from Tomtom. And a little venting.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
So here's the story:

I'm on a G5 Macintosh, using a Go 720 with firmware 7.221, maps 7.05 and Tomtom Home 1.6. I was trying to use the Latest Map Guarantee but Home kept telling me that the code was invalid or expired. So I gave customer service a call. After explaining my story, the lady told me that you can just go to the website and download Home 2.0 for the Mac and you won't need a code. So I tried and low and behold it's still 1.5. I called back and was talking to a gentleman and told him that I was unable to get my code to work, and so he walked me through the steps on how to get the new map. After I told him what I was working with, he told me that there is no 2.0 for Mac, that they've been having troubles with the Latest Map codes, and that any updates that 1.6 finds for my Go 720 are actually detrimental. I asked to speak to a supervisor cause I just didn't believe him. The supervisor told me pretty much the same thing, that I'm out of luck, and that I'll need to find a PC in order to down load 2.0 and any new maps.

I find it very hard to believe that Tomtom would leave Mac users behind like this. Sorry to vent, but I'm just really unhappy about this.

Yes, it is extremely frustrating for us Mac users. Luckily, I have a PC I can use when I connect my TT to HOME, but not everyone is as fortunate. I hope TomTom pulls it together and offers better support for Mac users!

We have a PC (not a Mac) and map 7.05 and we are under the 30 days. Using the TomtomHome software (also latest 7.221), map 7.05 comes up as the latest also. I thought 7.10 was later.

We have a PC (not a Mac) and map 7.05 and we are under the 30 days. Using the TomtomHome software (also latest 7.221), map 7.05 comes up as the latest also. I thought 7.10 was later.

Have you called TT Support about getting the map upgrade?

Well, this is just a fine "how-do-you-do". I was going to call them tomorrow about the Map upgrade. I just dropped $1000 for 2 of these things (me and my wife) and I can't update the Maps?

Wonder if my VPC still works....

EDIT: Well, VPC isn't cutting it.

I just got off the phone with TomTom support. She gave me the run around about their software not being Mac compatible etc. I asked her why that was my problem. Told her that what I was hearing was that I just spent $1000 on 2 of their devices and I can't utilize their update system because I'm not using the Operating System they think I should be? I then added that I could have purchased from a competitor that simply put their updates out on a CD/DVD and that clearly stated that they were Mac compatible. I then asked why they didn't state on their packaging, or even clearly on their website, that the update functionality was was at least temporarily unavailable for Mac users and give a clear timeline as to when the software would be released to restore full Mac compatibility. I asked when the Mac version of TT2 should be out and the operator told me "a few months" (like I've never heard that before). I asked if my 30 day update guarantee would still be good when ever the new Mac software came out and she asked me if I would hold. Ultimately they put the v710 maps in my "My TomTom" account on-line and made the download window valid through 1 Feb 2009. At least whenever they get around to releasing the new Mac software I can get the v710 maps for free, assuming that is within the next 13 months. If I can get on a Windows box I can grab it anytime though.

Last edited:

Ask a Question