odd direction choices?

Is there a way of knowing when the device is using IQ routing? I was surpised yesterday when coming from my section of Western Long Island to Manhattan that the 730 advised in both directions to take the Van Wyck Expwy (I 678) straight to the Whitestone Expwy (I 678) then to the Long Island Expwy (I 495). In both cases staying the Whitestone Expwy leg in lieu of the Grand Central Pkwy option are quite suspect.

I was also surprised that it had us go from the Times Square area down to the Williamsburg Bridge into Brooklyn to go back through Queens into Long Island instead of the Queensborough Bridge!?? I had declined toll options but guessed it would have had us to go to the closer and more direct Queensborough Bridge crossing.

Sorry for being NY centric.

IQ routes will tell you on the route summary screen when it's not being used.

What map version do you have? Map 810 doesn't have time-of-day speed data, so it averages midnight times and day times. Map 815 has time-of-day info, so it should do a better job.

I just got back from New York, and the tomtom seemed to take appropriate routes. It avoids the cross bronx except for midnight travel, etc. I also did "avoid tolls" because of how high the tolls were in NY. So it did take me on some roundabout roads. One thing to note is that "avoid tolls" is a no-exceptions setting. For example, if you avoid tolls crossing the hudson eastbound, tomtom will take you up into albany and back down just to avoid the tolls.

IQ routes will tell you on the route summary screen when it's not being used.

What map version do you have? Map 810 doesn't have time-of-day speed data, so it averages midnight times and day times. Map 815 has time-of-day info, so it should do a better job.

I just got back from New York, and the tomtom seemed to take appropriate routes. It avoids the cross bronx except for midnight travel, etc. I also did "avoid tolls" because of how high the tolls were in NY. So it did take me on some roundabout roads. One thing to note is that "avoid tolls" is a no-exceptions setting. For example, if you avoid tolls crossing the hudson eastbound, tomtom will take you up into albany and back down just to avoid the tolls.
Thanks for info. I'm using map v815.2019. I'm glad it avoided the cross bronx for you. (otherwise you would still be on it. :))

Today, it took us across the streets of Queens/Brooklyn in a practical, direct, albeit seemingly draggy way to a hospital in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I was pleased it was easily found as well as a POI.

Ask a Question