Nothing happens when I connect to my Mac! Help!

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 3rd edition
I have been given a TomTom One series 3rd edition and wish to connect to my Mac (OSX Lion) for any updates. However upon connecting to my Mac for the first time nothing happens except for a notification icon "internal" on my desktop that it has mounted ok. I downloaded the MyTomTomSA application and I assume it is running in the background but nothing happens when I click it or connect my device. I assumed when I connect to my Mac it would start automatically but nothing activates. My TomTom is switched on and the first request on the TomTom is for me to wait presumably while it loads and then a screen shows a wired up graphic but then nothing. Am I doing something wrong or is there another step I need to complete to activate the update status? Can anyone help please?

Update:
I now find there is another app to download "TomTom Home" which I have downloaded and installed. Unfortunately I now find that there is another problem with "connecting to the server" so I can't backup and update. Very frustrating! Can anyone tell me why please and if I can correct this?

Thanks. I have no antivirus installed and to my knowledge there is no firewall. I have no problems with other apps connecting and downloading software updates automatically so I guess that proves the point. I know that if any app wants to connect without my consent I usually get a request to authenticate.

TomTomerror.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use a Mac so hopefully someone who does will pop into this thread and give proper advice. Check back.

Another non-Mac user here, I'm afraid so just a couple of very general points.

1. It could be just that the TomTom servers were "down" when you tried. They aren't the most stable of beasts and are often going AWOL.

2. Very good advice from dhn to use the Mac's own Finder tomake your backups. Having a good backup is THE most important thing you need to do, so do it straight away.

3. In order to make that backup with Finder, you need the Mac to have recognised your TomTom as a new "disk drive" or "Mass storage device".
Hopefully, that's all happened OK and you can find it as a new drive letter (I'm assuming your hard disks and things are given drive letters on a Mac??)

4. Once you've got view of the TomTom in Finder, there's an awful lot you can do to update and improve the TomTom without ever going near "Home".
For instance, you can add your own POI files (there are hundreds available on the web), your own voices and warning sounds (again, plenty on the web), make your own "splashscreens" for when it turns on and off and replace the blue arrow with a picture of your own car or whatever you like.

All of that can be done just by copying the relevant files to the right places on the TomTom.
There are lots of tutorials and help files on this forum and others, but if there's anything you wan to know, just ask.

Thanks. I have now backed up just copying and pasting all the files on the device but still find I cannot even log in to update or anything. I just get the same server message. I am a little confused that even at this time it is so difficult to connect to a relatively simple procedure when my Mac does all of it's updating quietly and without fuss! :confused:

Presume you've already tried completely deleting Home and reinstalling?

The TomTom Support page which provides instructions to fully uninstall HOME for Mac users is here:
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/minor_detail/a_id/15035/

I don't know what's available for the Mac, but on a PC programs like Revo Uninstaller can sometimes do a more thorough job of uninstalling a program completely.

Can you wangle access to another PC or Mac to try the program on there? That way we could tie the problem down to something specific on your Mac.

Out of interest, does the TT ONE connect OK to Home, so everything is recognised correctly on that side and you can view the contents etc? (Manage my device / Items on device)

Yes I have "AppCleaner" which is a Mac app for deleting everything the same.

When I connect TT one the Home icon appears on my dock (system tray) for me to click and activate.

I shall delete and reinstall and see.

Unfortunately no PC to test it on.

Will post back. Thanks.

Ask a Question