'nother newbie

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S world traveler edition
Another newbie
And new to the technology.

My wife and I have just returned from a 9000km. "shakedown cruise" from northern British Columbia to central California and back with a newly purchased XXL 540-S WTE.

For the most part, the unit worked great - very impressive. Within a very short time this amazing piece of technology should pay for itself in saved time and fuel. A few oddities: the computer-generated voice called US 101 "US-one-west-one" and pronounced Sacramento as "Sa-craw-meng-haw". But we can live with that.

The main reason for the purchase of this particular model with the WTE designation is an up-coming trip to Europe. As shown on the factory sealed box - "maps of United States - Canada - Mexico - Europe".

But where are the maps of Europe? The "Show Version" screen states: Map: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P' v835.2419 . What will I have to go through to obtain what I thought I had purchased in the first place? Will the unit change over to a different map once it lands in Europe?

Also, I have not yet connected the device to a computer. The issues reported by members of this great forum have made me gun-shy. It was not my intention to purchase a device that has so many bugs in it I will have to spend hours trying to fix it, even if a paper clip is the most valuable tool for a TomTom user.

Over reacting? Panicking unnecessarily? I hope not.

Thanks, everyone.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. You should have two map folders listed, one should say: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P and the other should say: Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.

If you don't have both maps, you do not have the World Traveller edition.

If you do have both, then in preferences, go to Manage Maps-->Switch maps and both should be listed there.

Also, you have 30 days from first use to get the latest map guarantee. Your map is 6 months old. The current one is 845 and you want that as it shows good improvements for Canadian roads.

Here is where you may have a problem, you should ALSO be offered the newest Western_Europe map (if you DO have the proper unit). But it may not be offered, you'll have to call support at 866-486-6866 and argue that you paid more to get 2 maps and BOTH should be eligible for the LMG.

Before you do connect to Home, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents right now. Then you have a safety net if something goes wrong.

-----------------------------------------------

For the 4 west 5 issue, see this link for possible solutions:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-voices/18323-number-enunciation.html

Make that backup first, though!!

Last edited:
Thanks,

I had a look and yes, the maps for Europe are on board. For the updates I am too late - missed the 30 day limit. There seem to be lots of flaws with this technology and its software, so we'll pack all the paper maps we need as well! The TomTom will be considered as a "supplement". Also, I'm learning how to say "where is.... " in six different Slavic languages, two Latin and Hungarian!! Just like I used to do in the not too recent past.

Jim

Ask a Question