Not very happy,think i will go back to a xxl540

Well i recieved my go 2535 yesterday and im not happy at all with the routes it gives me.I put in 2different adresses within 5 miles of my house and they were both off by quite a bit.The one had me turnig the wrong way and showing my destination more then a mile away from where i was supposed to end up at.The other had me going right past the gas station i had as my destination for close to a mile then wanted me to turn around on the same street,a two street,then backtrack.Whats going on with this.My xxl540never did this,not happy with it at all,its going back.

Strange, you seem to be describing mapping problems, and both devices should be using the same map. Are they both on map 865?

Can you give more details of the destinations?

A lot of this sort of thing depends on how you enter the locations.
For example if you entered your destination as a "point on map" there's no way the TomTom could "turn wrong" and end up going past where you were meant to be.

If you entered the destination as an address in city, street name and house number, any error may be down to how the system has interpolated from just a few logged house numbers in the mapping data.

(Or If you had been in the UK and entered the destination as a postcode, any error might be down to a mistake in the postcode files rather than the navigation as a whole.)

Secondly If you were asked to turn around and backtrack to get to a gas station, that may be down to turn restrictions in the maps themselves and that wouldn't be specific to the Go 2535 but would be seen on any TomTom using the same map version.

What I'm trying to say is that YOU haven't done anything wrong, but exactly why you're seeing these errors could be any one of many reasons, not all down to the 2535 itself.
Only by seeing the exact destinations and by trying to recreate the routes ourselves on different models can we try to get to the bottom of why you are getting these errors.

I just checked the map version on the 2535 and it says map v860.I dont have my xxl540 no more i sold it but i know it had the up to date map.I dont really know any other way to descibe it.The gas station i put in as a poi and like i said its within 5 miles of my house so i know the fastest route to get there, i just wanted to see what kind of route this new unit would give me.It is located on a very popular road and has been there a very long time but my route took me within 20yards of this gas station and kept me going way past it then told me to turn around on the same street, two way street,and it did this without recalculating.I have tried shortest route also with same effect.I have also tried putting the route in as a adress,same thing.I just ddont know wh.y it does this

Without giving away any details of your home address, what's the address (or coordinates) of the gas station and the direction you approached from?
Someone with the same map can try to recreate it on their own Tomtom.

Incidentally, the latest maps are v865, you should be able to get an update to those using the Latest Map Guarantee. That is now working on the Go1000/5 (in the UK at least) but it may take a while to appear on these new models.

Thanks for all your help but i think im gonna just return the unit.Ive been typing in quite a few adresses within a few miles from my house and it just isnt giving the besr routes.Dont know if its the map version or not but i cant trust taking a trip anywhere with this unit,thanks again.

Check settings -> planning settings

Is it set to "fastest"? Do you have any avoidances configured?

As far as I know it has the exact same routing engine as the XXL540. If you had issues, they should have appeared on both devices.

It's slightly possible that map 860 vs 865 is the difference, but usually there aren't that many changes in one map.

I have it set to fastest routes,and the only avoidance i have checked is to avoid unpaved roads,and there are no unpaved roads around where its messing up at.I went to my tomtom and hooked my device up to see if i can get the latest version map,but there is nothing for it.Its got the v860 on it ,i guess there not ready for updates yet.

Just tried my first route with my new 2535M Live and it was dead on perfect -- streets, locations, time estimate. It was a tiny test, but no apparent errors so far. Will try on longer trips in the next few days.

- Jon

That's the mystery...
Apart from MINOR issues caused by different map versions, we all think there shouldn't be any major differences between the routes calculated on a 2535 and any other model.

But without examples we can't really get to the bottom of it.

Wouldn't test traffic -- but we could conceivably try "plan route" with different devices, specifying the start and end points, and then compare results....

Thanks but ive already sent the unit back for a refund.I might buy another one once they start releasing more updates for these units,thanks aqgain.

Ask a Question