Not giving directions

Hi,

I'm planning on doing a 1000 mile road trip in a couple of months around Scotland. I bought the iPhone TomTom Western Europe app and am using it through a set of headphone into my motorcycle helmet - no messing around with bluetooth. I just did a trip from Glasgow to Braemar, and noticed that the app, while more or less knowing where I was (although it was constantly saying "GPS reception poor"), it very rarely actually gave me directions when coming up to turns etc. I think it's safe to say that it pretty much never gave me the directions before I reached junctions. Also, it announced while on the 30 mile long road to Perth that I should continue straight on for 3000 miles.

Has anyone else has issues like this? Surely, even if it doesn't know exactly when I am going to reach the junction, the app should be able to work out when to say "in 1 mile, turn left". Is there any way to easily boost the GPS signal without spending massive amounts of money? I had it in my pocket the whole time, by the way.

If you are using the phone only, then yes could be poor reception. Having not lived or traveled on the Isle's all I can say that is here in the states I had the same problem in the big cities, tall buildings, narrow streets. Once I got the car kit with the GPS chip inside, no problem reception and speed 100% better. There is a jack on the side, that perhaps you could you use for the audio to your helmet, I currently use it to my ford sync. Listening to music, directions come music goes down or can be set to pause, direction over the top. You can also purchase the car kit from ProClip and it will be without the suction pad, hence you could use a bike mount base or a ram mount to attach to the handle bars.

Could you possibly test it for me if it's not too much hassle? I don't want to shell out ?80 on the car kit if it won't let me take the audio out of the phone jack/kit jack.

Could you possibly test it for me if it's not too much hassle? I don't want to shell out ?80 on the car kit if it won't let me take the audio out of the phone jack/kit jack.

Yes it works. I used my Apple buds with mike and switch no problem, I got the directions via the buds. enjoy you ride.

Ask a Question