Not enough space to update App

Hi. I have tried to update the TomTom App (currently 1.5, update to 1.6) on my iPhone (3GS - OS 4.2.1) that has 4.2 GB of free space. The installed App itself uses 1.95 GB, yet I am getting a message saying that I do not have enough free space to update the App. I have already cleared out everything I am willing to in order to make space for the update (over 2GB worth!) and have turned the phone off and on again in case the deleted Apps / photos etc hadn't registered, but to no avail. How big is this update :confused: Any solutions? Thanks.

Have you removed the 1,5 app before trying to update as that will free up enough space in addition to whats already available.
When an app installs it takes up about twice the storage space actually needed, once the app is installed the extra storage space it was using is returned to the user as free space - Mike

OK, just tried uninstalling 1.5 and then my update option disappeared, so went back to re-install from scratch from App Store (was now 1.6 available) but it did not seem to recognise that I had already purchased the App and it looked like it was going to charge me again - I thought that if I tried to buy it again that maybe it would recognise that I'd already had it, but I didn't press the price button to buy again as I didn't want to find out the hard (and expensive!) way that the theory was wrong! I have re-installed 1.5 from the backup on my computer ... any other suggestions?

You either need to remove something else from the iPhone to create more space or use a file access application on the PC to remove certain files from the TomTom app folder to free up space without deleting all the 1,5 app there are some large files in the TomTom app North_America or Western_Europe map folders which could free up space.
I use DiskAid which is free for 14 days and negates the need to JB the iPhone - Mike

Deselect ALL your music, apps, etc within iTunes then sync your iPhone so that it's empty and then update TT. Once updated tick all your music, apps etc within iTunes, resync and that should do it.

I seen friends with 3G/3GS iPhones struggling to get TT on their phones even though there is supposedly sufficient storage. The option I gave them that worked was to deselect all within iTunes whilst installing / updating TT.

Thanks for the help - I took all my music off, updated TT and then put all my music back on. Turned into a very long process so I hope there's not too many updates :D

Ask a Question