Not enough space for anything!!

Hi all- I'm a bit desperate for some help- I've got a TomTom XL, with the most recent map, and there's absolutely no room for anything-- i've only got one voice (I think it's "Tom"-not my favorite, but the smallest computer voice), and i've also taken off everything else possible- points of interest, and even the shut-down image. There's still not enough room for even the map update (0.1 mb). This seems like a HUGE design flaw, but does anyone know of a way of clearing up any hidden space? (I'm on a Mac if that helps).

There are eight different XL models available in Canada. Which specific one do you have? Also, a map update is many megs, are you referring to a mapshare update?

Where in the process are you seeing 'insufficient room'?

re: Not enough space for anything!

thanks for the quick reply-- sadly, i'm not sure which model i've got- I think it's the 330s; my info screen lists the details as App 8.011, OS 1000. Map: USA_and_Canada v.715.1728. GPS v1.21. 128 mb Ram. Hopefully that helps.

When I'm using TomTom home, and check for updates, if I ONLY select the QuickGPSfix (0.1 MB), the screen comes up (Free UP Space for Your New Items). The only thing left to remove from my device is my single computer voice ("Tom"). Everything else i've taken off. It also lists my device memory as 978.1 mb, and says I need to free up 0.2 mb.

Thanks again for the help- it's much appreciated.

one more puzzle piece

here's one more item that might help- in TomTom Home, under Manage Your Navigation Device/Items on Device, what is listed (applications, maps, voices) adds up to 907 MB. In theory I should have 70 MB of free space, but it says I've got 978 MB installed (device max). So somewhere there's 70 mb not listed taking up room....I'm wary to do a re-install, but maybe this would clear it up?

Make a backup of your unit using Finder. Make SURE it's copied to a folder on the Mac.

Format the unit using Dos format.

Restore your backup, again using Finder. Does that help?

Sorry, to clarify- backup with Mac Finder, not TomTom Home? And use disc format from Mac system (not TomTom Home). Then copy back with Mac Finder? I'm assuming this would wipe any unseen files from the system, where TomTom Home doesn't do a clean install when using Restore. Thanks again!

(OK, re-reading your post I think that all makes sense -- it's in progress now- I'll let you know how it goes)!

Ask a Question