not enough room to update map

hello All,

I changed my old ONE with a START 1EX00 Europe, and when I connected it to TTHome, it told me I had to update the map.

The installation ended with "not enough room for map", so I called the Support.
First they wanted me to delete some languages, then, because the error persisted, they had me delete the map folder. No way.

It turns out that the new map, 850.28, is 2264MB so it will NEVER fit inside a 2GB device.

Solution is: select a map portion. This means that you can't have UK AND Germany.
It's either, or. CRAZY!

I wonder if there is an SD I can upgrade inside.

Thanks for your time,
-Gian

Welcome to the forum, give them a ring again (0845 161 0009) and ask them when they are going to release a single map covering the same countries as was originally supplied with the device, if they have no plans to issue such a map and want users to load regional maps on a per trip basis ask for a full refund and purchase something else, its not your fault they issued the hardware with limitted memory and no way of adding extra memory.
And no there isn't a memory card inside the device - Mike

Hi everyone,

I'm in a similar boat. I just received my Start2 EU yesterday. I can try and fight for a refund, but I'm not sure what alternatives there are at the moment. Just noticed the XL2 EU only has 1GB RAM with no SD slot. How is that possible?

It took me weeks of research to finally decide on TomTom because they have better maps than Garmin. But right now I think I might have made a mistake.

I still prefer the TomTom interface over and above the other suppliers but the XL IQ_2 and Start_2 with their dumbed down interfaces have paired away far too much in way of useful configurable options, add this to the recent European V850 map release issue and the device is looking like its obsolete before its a day old in your case!
To be honest try and swap it out for a Go-550 Live, when the Live period expires (after 12 months) simply don't bother with further subscriptions as the device can still be used perfectly well without the Live service. With the 550 at least you get a memory card slot to top up the memory when the map size goes beyond the storage capacity of the device - Mike

XL Route 2 Europe

Hi all,

Just bought the XL Routes 2 Europe after a lot of research having been burnt by a Navman that has no map updates any more. Guess what though my new TomTom XL (2) Routes Europe also cannot update it's map as the map is bigger than the internal store! I would be prepared to open it up and upgrade the store but I am pretty sure it is not an option.

I have posted a query to TT but no response as yet. the TT Home has some suggestions but this updated map does not have regions so I am stuck with an old map - just like Navman.

Any suggestions folks? Can I ask TT for a full refund of 144GBP as it is not fir for purpose as I cannot keep my maps updated?

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:
I have this same problem, with an XL2 which has preinstalled maps and suggests a new one. I have decided to stick with the original map which fits on the device rather than update. I am not goin to purchase any regular map updates either as I've read that it's more cost effective to purchase a new device after 3 years.

Does anyone think I will have probs if I don't update?

Last edited:
Does anyone think I will have probs if I don't update?
I very much doubt you will have any issues at all, just make sure you have made a full back up of the device using Windows Explorer to be on the safe side then simply use the device - Mike

Welcome to the forum, give them a ring again (0845 161 0009) and ask them when they are going to release a single map covering the same countries as was originally supplied with the device, if they have no plans to issue such a map and want users to load regional maps on a per trip basis ask for a full refund and purchase something else, its not your fault they issued the hardware with limitted memory and no way of adding extra memory.
And no there isn't a memory card inside the device - Mike

Hi,
I just managed to get a refund on my Map Update subscription, it took a threat of legal action before they agreed but the small claims court could help, it only cost ?25 to put a claim in and refunded if you win.

Basically your problem is the same as mine.

My subscription is useless as I cannot navigate to Austria from the UK with the new updates, therefore the function of my unit would be altered fundementally from the one I purchased. There is no way I could get a refund for my device due to the usage I have had from it but I can for the updates.

Your claim however is slightly different. You purchased an item with a Map Guarantee. So the map bought with the device is that update. If it now does not function as described, for no where does it say it has ''Partial European Coverage'', you should be able to get a refund.

Thats fair isnt it?

Ask a Question