North American maps 700 vs 910

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I 'HAD' a 700 and had purchased new maps in February. I got a 910 to replace the 700 and the maps are version 6.x. I tried to use Home to install the newer North American maps on the 910 and Home said no can do due to content restrictions or some such. Are the maps for the 700 not compatible with the 910, or can I just copy them with Explorer and go?

All maps are specific not only to the model of TT but to the actual unique device. Therefore the maps you purchased for the 700 won't work on any other unit at all. Not even another 700. You could call TomTom support to see if they would allow you to switch the maps to the 910 (they can allow it through HOME) but I think your chances of success are basically zero. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck

So, could I (in theory) copy the contents of my "North_America" folder to another folder named "North_America2", and essentially have two independent sets of north american maps? I'm basically interested in being able to make Map Share changes to my maps that reflect restrictions of commercial vehicles, but be able to revert to "passenger car mode" when I move my 920 to my car. And then reverse the process when I move it back to my van.

I don't think so. As I understand it, the name of the folder doesn't matter, it's the contents that do. That being the case, it would be the same map and, therefore, the same mapshares that would get downloaded.

So, could I (in theory) copy the contents of my "North_America" folder to another folder named "North_America2", and essentially have two independent sets of north american maps? I'm basically interested in being able to make Map Share changes to my maps that reflect restrictions of commercial vehicles, but be able to revert to "passenger car mode" when I move my 920 to my car. And then reverse the process when I move it back to my van.
Why not make your CMV restrictions a POI file? You're talking about low bridges, and roads that you can't drive on, right? You could make them into a POI file and set them to warn you when you're driving your CMV, then turn it off when you're in your POV.

Why not make your CMV restrictions a POI file? You're talking about low bridges, and roads that you can't drive on, right? You could make them into a POI file and set them to warn you when you're driving your CMV, then turn it off when you're in your POV.

Actually, the issue I have pertains to NYC where they differentiate between "trucks" and "commercial vehicles". A truck is defined as any vehicle having 3 or more axles, or 6 more more wheels. A commercial vehicle is defined as any vehicle with a commercial registration, regardless of weight, height, body design, etc. There are no public roadways (at least in my area) where my van would be restricted based on its size or weight - it's strictly an administrative restriction. They don't want delivery and/or service type vehicles on certain roadways.

I considered using POIs. Creating the set of POIs would be no more tedious than making the appropriate Map Share changes. But POIs would not alert me to an issue until I was on route and near the POI, whereas Map Share changes might give me a different route entirely.

I just did a small experiment and discovered that the maximum distance you can set for "Warn when near POI" is 9999 yards, or 5.68 miles. While that's certainly enough notice to let me avoid the POI, it's not enough to alert me at the start of a route that a "No Trucks" POI exists on the route. I think it's a good start though, and certainly better than re-applying Map Share changes every time I update my maps (which I hope will be frequent, since I have one of the "1 year" guarantee cards).

While I'm still interested in pursuing a solution that's closer to ideal, this is a good start. Thanks.

Good news on maps for 910

All maps are specific not only to the model of TT but to the actual unique device. Therefore the maps you purchased for the 700 won't work on any other unit at all. Not even another 700. You could call TomTom support to see if they would allow you to switch the maps to the 910 (they can allow it through HOME) but I think your chances of success are basically zero. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good Luck

The good news is that I connected with Home and it downloaded the update to North America maps, so now the 910 is current for both North America and Europe.

Ask a Question