Normal?

I've had my TT One New edition from almost two weeks. It has the newest maps which were already loaded onto the unit. I downloaded Home 1.5 and proceeded to update my One. The update to quickfix went well. I have not made any other changes. I went for my first highway drive today with the One and while the screen directions were always correct, the voice would give wrong instructions...ie right turn coming in 2 miles when it was actually only one mile away......or left turn coming then at the last minute says turn right. Is this something normal that happens sometime, or should I return the unit?

Thanks for any help

On the highway at least... the default is "in 2 miles..." I've noticed that when I'm at speed for just a 1/2 mile or so.. (on one ramp off at the next) it'll tell me 2 miles. I think if you are at slower speeds it uses the other increments.

I'm thinking of getting a TT one. The discrepancy of the voice command versus real time distance I can live with, but when the voice command says left turn comming up, and then wants me to go right, that's something that would confuse me profoundly.

I find voice prompts excellent with my ONE. If a right turn is to come immediately after a left turn, the unit will say "turn left in XX yards, then keep right. And if the turn is almost instantly after your left turn, BOTH turns show up in the lower left hand of the unit.

Different scenarios (note I just randomly picked the left/right options):

1. two turns close to one another: In x units, turn left then take the 2nd left.

2. a turn followed by an exit: In x units, turn right then keep right.

3. a freeway exit ramp splits into two directions: In x units, take the exit right, then stay in the left lane.

Now, the TomTom units use different voice instructions that mean slightly different things in the TomTom compared to that same instruction in another unit.

e.g.

"Right turn ahead"
TomTom: It means there's a right turn coming up so prepare to move to the right lane.
Other units: It means turn right.

It took me a while to adjust cause every time I heard that I keep thing "oh crap, I have to turn right at the next junction"

I am going to try another highway drive Tuesday and double check if I could have misunderstood the voice instructions. Since I don't seem to have any problems with city driving I hope that it's a mistake on my part.

Ask a Question