Noob Routing Question

Ok.. I live near an interstate highway, and natually just about any trip I take involves routing on that highway. It is more than 10 miles to the interstate and I AWLAYS travel the same way to reach the interstate.

So ... my problem/question is:

Everytime my 720 routes anything to/through the interstate, it maps the most moronic route, through town, through the traffic, railroad tracks etc...
There is an easier, 2 turns, route to get to the interstate and no matter what I do, I cannot make the 720 chose it as a primary or alternate etc. Sure, once I start going down that route, the 720 re-routes wonderfully, but I want the system to map it to begin with.

Is there any way to pre-set: "This is how "I" want to get out of my neighboorhood and to the interstate for "ALL" navigations?"

When you say 'no matter what I do', do you mean you've set the route for Fastest or Shortest and it makes no difference?

If no difference, you may want to choose 'select Alternative route' then select the highway to travel by. But, it won't 'remember' that for next time.

It would seem a pain to have to resort to Itinerary Planning for every route you want.

When you say 'no matter what I do', do you mean you've set the route for Fastest or Shortest and it makes no difference?

If no difference, you may want to choose 'select Alternative route' then select the highway to travel by. But, it won't 'remember' that for next time.

It would seem a pain to have to resort to Itinerary Planning for every route you want.

Similarly, you can select an alternate route "by way of" an intersection, but like dhn said, you can't make it permanent.

I've got a similar situation; the TomTom wants me to get off the highway one exit early so that I can take a longer route but make a right turn to arrive at my destination. It doesn't seem to know there's a left turn lane coming from the other direction, which is faster. So I just drive the better route, and TomTom adjusts the route (every time!) when it realizes I'm not following its recommendation. Remember: your GPS will get you there, and it may even take traffic conditions into account, but it's not designed as a replacement for common sense.

You gotta remember that these things are dumb compared to you. They don't know where stop lights and stop signs are. They don't know where the traffic is during different times of the day. You factor many different considerations into when you pick a route that the TT can't. The newer IQ routing is supposedly better. It's basically connecting the dots between spots. Fastest and shortest don't make any sense either.

You are going to have to be satisfied with letting it re-route when you get on the highway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I kinda figured this was the case. I hadn't tried the "by way of" process before. I will look at it.

Ask a Question