Noob 720 owner needs a lil help please

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Long time listener.......first time caller

Just recieved this past week, a spankin' new GO 720. I've been using TT software [v5 & v6] via an Axim x51v for many years.
I guess i'd be considered a TT "fanboy", but i've personally used the competitors, and hands down, TT has won me over
as a dedicated customer.

Independent owner/operator "big truck" , 3000+ miles avg per week. I get lots of "real time" testing and evaluation.

So far, i'm totally happy with the performance of the 720. Not much of a change from the PPC with the exception of some really cool extras.

GO 720 specs:

V.7.221 (8572/071121) OS:2318
Map: North_America_2GB v710.1584

USER FINDINGS: Bluetooth Phone

Verizon / Moto V3m Razr

Kept reading folks were having bluetooth paring issues.

The below procedure worked for me quite well:

in the wireless data setup on the TomTom

1. Phone selection - other
2. Carrier selection - other
3. Access point - vzw3g
4. username - (10 digit phone number)@vzw3g.com
5. password - vzw
6. number to dial - #777
7. No scripts

This procedure mirrors exactly the same settings i use to connect my cellphone/lappy [via a usb cable] to the internet.
I can make/recieve calls via 720. Importing of phone data into 720 works as well.

USER FINDINGS: Text to Speech

Does not work.

I've downloaded 2 of the computer voices
tts.jpg

To apply computer voices: change preferences > voice preferences > change voice > Susan is seen/test/selected. Next 2 done screens all ticked with the exception of the two disables. TTS still does not work.

change preferences > voice preferences > change voice > Susan is seen/test/selected. Voice is heard upon testing once. Try a second time and no voice is heard. Select next voice Dave. Voice is heard upon testing once. Try a second time and no voice is heard.

I have no idea what's going on here and no clue what the problem is. Regular voices work just fine. Help is needed.

USER FINDINGS: TomTom Traffic

Bumbled my way through the TomTom Home / online payment and after 4-5 attempts, was successful. I'm still waiting to hear from TT in regards to payment which is only listed in Euros. Now i'm reading here that supposeably there's a 30 or 90 day freebie trial [no one told me about]. Have a customer support ticket started at TT HQ , awaiting to hear about Euros & the "free" status.

Pushed TomTom Traffic > Update traffic info > little car icon with green arrow appears and data recieved and get a little green solid ball. I then expand to a map view and can see a bunch of warning signs. Appears to have worked. Question I have for those subscribing to traffic is, are you generally happy with the quality of "real Time" data you're getting ?

USER FINDINGS: Noobie conclusions

Music and Media. FM transmitter works great. MPS files uploaded onto a 2GB SD card are working well. Music mutes when incoming turn instructions are spoken. JPEG/Pics is a neat feature....but that upper and lower border steals way too much real estate. Overall i'm really happy I invested in the 720.

Have you tried SMS messaging?

What happens if you receive a SMS message when the phone is connected to the TT?

Does is read the message to you?

Can you send a response?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hopefully they will refund your payment since their giving traffic away for free until they figure out what to charge.

Have you tried SMS messaging?

What happens if you receive a SMS message when the phone is connected to the TT?

Does is read the message to you?

Can you send a response?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hopefully they will refund your payment since their giving traffic away for free until they figure out what to charge.

Sorry, I don't have SMS as a part of my Verizon cell plan.

Spent quite a bit of time on this today. Virtually everything works spot on....except TTS

I still am totally clueless.

but thanks

Seems like your LoqAudioBoard.so file is corrupt or incompatable. I had the same problem with 7.210 (build 8555) which was later pulled by tomtom. Funny thing is that TTS would stop when I paired the cell phone. It worked fine without the cell phone but once you paired the phone, unpairing wouldn't fix the problem.

You seem pretty familiar with the directory structure of tomtom. I would try to roll back to your original backup and try with / without bluetooth and if everything works, try with 7.221 without bluetooth first just to make sure.

HTH:D

Seems like your LoqAudioBoard.so file is corrupt or incompatable. I had the same problem with 7.210 (build 8555) which was later pulled by tomtom. Funny thing is that TTS would stop when I paired the cell phone. It worked fine without the cell phone but once you paired the phone, unpairing wouldn't fix the problem.

You seem pretty familiar with the directory structure of tomtom. I would try to roll back to your original backup and try with / without bluetooth and if everything works, try with 7.221 without bluetooth first just to make sure.

HTH:D
bilybob,
Well my Friend...... you were right on the money with that diagnosis.
The patient seems to be healthy now and working.

I've tested thru paring and non-paring senarios.

On the possible downside, the actual computer generated voices are of course, not real distinct, as those from regular voice choices. With the loud enviroment of my trucks cab, the whole TTS feature may be un-usable. I'll know for sure this week with some real time usage.

Thanks alot for your feed-back. Forums such as these are absolutly invaluable. Folks that take the time to help others with issues: "PRICELESS"

P.S. That support_asr.dat file hack trick works kinda sweet

bilybob,
Well my Friend...... you were right on the money with that diagnosis.
The patient seems to be healthy now and working.

I've tested thru paring and non-paring senarios.

On the possible downside, the actual computer generated voices are of course, not real distinct, as those from regular voice choices. With the loud enviroment of my trucks cab, the whole TTS feature may be un-usable. I'll know for sure this week with some real time usage.

Thanks alot for your feed-back. Forums such as these are absolutly invaluable. Folks that take the time to help others with issues: "PRICELESS"

P.S. That support_asr.dat file hack trick works kinda sweet

how did you get the phonebook to download (I have the LG 9400 tho, not a moto)? mine says its complete, but the option is greyed out. And anyone know what the car prefs option is for? mine is greyed out there too.

And anyone know what the car prefs option is for? mine is greyed out there too.

According to the manual (p61) there are two options: Link night view to headlights and instructions mute car radio. So evidently this must be intended for units that are pre-installed in a car (or have some other way to know when your headlights are on and whether you're listening to the radio :) )

One thing that might help with the computer voices is have the directions use the FM transmitter rather than the internal speaker. To me they sound much clearer and you can use the radio to get the volume you need.

Good Evening all TT Folks !!!

Been running hard last 3 days. Just missed huge ice storm in OK City,OK.
The town's a total mess.

Anyhooooooo.......the 720's working well. I switched the audio out [line out] to the trucks [input] amplified sound system and liking the results. BT phone feature is pretty cool and most are saying "our" conversations are pretty clear considering the enviroment i'm in.

ONE BIG PROBLEM I totally lost my traffic/weather. Was working just fine. It seemed to occur once I left my "home" area. I've run the wizard but keep getting the can't connect thangy. All phone features working....just DATA affected. I know Verizon has issues......but I DID have it working while at home before I left.
-- possibly someone here's dealt with the Verizon deal ???

Heading to northen Wisconsin in the morning, i'll check back during the weekend, cause I gotta believe someone's gonna have some kinda clue

Ask a Question