Non OEM car charger

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910
My car got broken into the other night in a hotel parking lot. One of the things stolen was my GO 910 car charger. I was in the middle of a 2000 mile road trip and didn't want to be without it. Cell phone charger was stolen also. Had seen TomTom accessories at Radio Shack in another state so went there hoping they had the OEM car charger. They didn't have any accessories for TomTom's only the units. Bought one of those new iGo replaceable tip chargers for my cell phone. I asked if they had one for the Go 910 and they looked on their computer and said iGo didn't offer one so off to Best Buy it was.

Best Buy didn't have the any accessories either so I bought a multi-point selectable voltage car charger. It had a tip that fit but it wouldn't charge my unit. The Go 910 is 5v. I tried the 4.5v and 6v settings and neither worked. So I did the next best thing and bought a ONE XL! I know extreme but with the way my day was going I wasn't going to let anything keep me down. Plus my sister has been wanting one so I thought if I didn't like it I'd just give it to her as an early Christmas present.

Now that I'm at my destination I checked online and wouldn't you know iGO does offer a charger tip for the Go series TomTom's. Oy Vey!!!!!

So if anyone ever needs a car charger for their unit and doesn't have time to order one from TomTom you can go to Radio Shack and buy an iGo car charger and tip model # A79. The ONE XL tip is # A32 which also appears to be the same tip you would need for the latest Motorola phones. Razr, Pebl etc..

Sister is getting ONE XL. Large screen is very nice and I wanted to keep it but I don't like the fact that the 910 remote control does not work with it (the units are so much easier to use with the remote), it doesn't switch from day to night automatically, computer voices on 910 are better, no TTS and no cell phone speaker phone capability. If I had never used a 910 before though I would love it.

Igo A79... pretty new tip.

Sorry to hear that RadioShack didn't have that tip for you. They only carry the tips for items they sell or popular items. However, in their defense, the A79 tip is Brand New to Igo, as well. It's only been introduced into their line-up a couple of months ago. Igo is based here in Scottsdale, AZ. I know some of the big-wigs there.

Oh, since we're in this conversation. If you're a road warrior like I am, you may want to get one of Igo's power splitters. This will allow one Igo cig adaptor to power both your GPS and charge your cellphone (assuming they are in close proximity to one another).

It's a life saver for only $10.00. I know that the T-mobile corporate stores carry this item.

Oh, to answer the previous question. Igo tips are $9.99 each. You get one free when you purchase either the vehicle charger or the home charger. They have tips for just about everything. Usually, they wait until about a year before making a tip for a new product. However, with over 60 tips available, most can cross-platform. The vehicle charger and home chargers sell for $29.99 and outputs up to 15-Watts. There is a cheaper charger that outputs up to 8-Watts for only $19.99. If you use the power splitter, you'll need the 15-Watt unit.

3581645.jpg
3379359.jpg
2615147.jpg
3050740.jpg

I also have one of their laptop chargers and it came with an attachment to use those tips, as well. Now, I'm universally powered and I carry 5 small tips with me. The laptop charger can work in a car, house, or airplane.

Damn... I should be a salesman for them.. LOL. Igo RULES!

Last edited:
Car and A/C adapters designed for Sony PSP work great with the 910. They can be found at EB Games / Gamestop -- sometimes used if you want to be extra frugal.

BB

Ask a Question