No VR after roll back to software 7.221

Hello,
After reading a post about reducing FM interferrence by going back to 7.221, I lost my voice input. The icon shows solid yellow no matter how loudly I speak or how close I am. My 920 setup is Map version 715 and software 7.221. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

btw, it seems like there is less static w/sw version7.221

Hello,
After reading a post about reducing FM interferrence by going back to 7.221, I lost my voice input. The icon shows solid yellow no matter how loudly I speak or how close I am. My 920 setup is Map version 715 and software 7.221. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have a computer voice selected? If not, try that. If you do have a computer voice selected, try a pin reset. If that doesn't work, try the Clear Flash tool here:
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4

Even though the reference is to x10, models, running the software has been known to resolve issues with x20 units.

The pin reset worked! Thanks much...btw, TT tech support would only try to help me if I returned to the most current version of the software. This forum rocks!!

Glad to hear it got it working.
Yes I agree about the less static. This is why I am also on 7.221.
My friends 930 has the FM static problem just as the latest x20 firmware.
I hope they fix FM transmitter soon for the x20 and x30 range.

Similar Issue

I figured since my issue was similar, I'd add on to this thread. I've had my 920 for about 2 weeks now, and I've been reading the forums, have been backing up extensively, as advised, but I've run into a road block.

I went through the hoops involved in getting the 7.20 maps, and then some more hoops to get them to actually download (I have a Macbook, but couldn't download on a windows machine either), and finally got them downloaded, only to discover I had no VR - the icons were there, but would get hung up when I tried to use it. I had, up until this point, avoided upgrading the firmware to 7.481, but figured I would try updating, I could always go back. Update went fine, VR was back, but I had the issue of either no cross-street navigation, or wonky POIs, which are known issues. I decided that was no good, so I downgraded back to 7.221. Now I don't even see the VR icons, it's like it's not even an option for the machine.

I have tried all of the suggestions above (made sure I had a computer voice (although I had to download one, as Susan is listed on the machine if I look at the files, but does not appear as an option to choose from the list), tried the flash clear, have done pin-sets till the cows come home), none of that has worked. Is there anything else I can try? Or are my choices to either have functioning POIs/cross streets, OR VR, until they finally get these bugs fixed?? Presumably other ppl were able to downgrade to 7.221 and keep VR with the new maps, right? Or does that only work with the older map versions?

I figured since my issue was similar, I'd add on to this thread. I've had my 920 for about 2 weeks now, and I've been reading the forums, have been backing up extensively, as advised, but I've run into a road block.

I went through the hoops involved in getting the 7.20 maps, and then some more hoops to get them to actually download (I have a Macbook, but couldn't download on a windows machine either), and finally got them downloaded, only to discover I had no VR - the icons were there, but would get hung up when I tried to use it. I had, up until this point, avoided upgrading the firmware to 7.481, but figured I would try updating, I could always go back. Update went fine, VR was back, but I had the issue of either no cross-street navigation, or wonky POIs, which are known issues. I decided that was no good, so I downgraded back to 7.221. Now I don't even see the VR icons, it's like it's not even an option for the machine.

I have tried all of the suggestions above (made sure I had a computer voice (although I had to download one, as Susan is listed on the machine if I look at the files, but does not appear as an option to choose from the list), tried the flash clear, have done pin-sets till the cows come home), none of that has worked. Is there anything else I can try? Or are my choices to either have functioning POIs/cross streets, OR VR, until they finally get these bugs fixed?? Presumably other ppl were able to downgrade to 7.221 and keep VR with the new maps, right? Or does that only work with the older map versions?

I'm in the same boat. Already tried a pin reset and clearing the flash. I haven't tried upgrading back to 7.481 yet because of the same problems you mentioned. I'm hoping the next firmware release will fix these problems without introducing any new complications. If anyone knows how to move the voice recognition from 7.481 into 7.221 without disturbing poi and street finder functions that work so well in 7.221, I'd like to hear it.

Have you guys made a backup of your unit?
If so try to copy the ASR folder from your backup into your TomTom replacing those files, but first make a current new backup just in case.

I assume you mean the ASR file from the 7.481/7.20 version, right? I'll try that tonight - I have been making backups all along the way, so that should be no problem.

Well, I tried replacing the ASR file in 7.221 with the 7.481 ASR file, and the VR icons were back, but when I clicked on it, I got the endless One Moment Please... although the computer voice did ask to state city. But the logo in the upper right never appeared. So no go.

Has anyone got VR with 7.221 and 7.20 maps?

my VR icons are still greyed out.. i have the 7.20 maps and the new 8.010 application version. argh! i am so desperate to get this fixed. any ideas anyone?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I was not able to go directly from 7.221 to 8.010 - Home didn't recognize that I had any new software, so I went back to a backup I had done with 7.481 and 7.20 maps, and upgraded from there - that did the trick. So far it seems to be working fine (knock on wood).

Ask a Question