no satellite signal

hi there

i am not getting any signal in Phila, PA, is that because I don't have the east coast map yet??

or is the device bought in France not working in the US for some reason???

Welcome, give us a little info, what kind do you have, where did you get it, is it new or used:confused:
Have you connected to TomTom Home on your computer and updated anything or gotten any GPS Quick Fixes, these fixes should speed up your sattelite pick up time..................

I bought it new, and used for years in France - now that I live in the US, it does not pick up any signals.

I did back up the original sd card to move it to another sd card to accomodate for both maps: europe and us.

It does not work with any...very odd!

Try a pin reset on the unit. See if that helps. Also, is the US map selected under Manage Maps when you try for the signal?

When I travel from the US to Europe and return, it can take quite a long time to get the signals locked in. Leave it with a good "view" to the sky and be patient.

There is no reason ti should not work relating to where you got it and used it.

Note - when it locks in, it will show a blank screen because there is not map relating to the signal. You will not get the "no maps" message, as you have maps on it - but apparently not here.

dhn - do you think it will at least display the coordinates if it is set to do so?

If so, and it does, all you need is a map for where you are located. If the US or NA map is not too much more expensive then local or east coast (?) map - suggest you get one. You never know when the urge to explore old route 66 to California might strike you.

thanks guys, I only have the europe map at the moment, is that why the satellite signal is not showing?

i wanted to make sure the unit would work here before I buy the map.

you are right, I might as well get a US map, its not that more expensive - just that it requires more space on my SD.

It can't show your current location because you don't have a map it can show the information on.

ok, I gathered that this was probably the case, I am not sure why this has an impact on satllite signal though - the message is not accurate, it should say that the map for the current area is missing or something.

Well, it seems there is no link between lack of satellite signal and local maps, I am quoting Vincent at TomTom support:

> Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
> Your reference for your query is *******-********
>
> There is no link indeed between GPS signal reception and local maps.
>
> We recommand you to follow the advises provided under this link
> TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product
>
> If you don't obtain results, please contact us again.

Back to square one, or I might just as well buy a new GPS...and not TomTom this time!

Contacting TT support by email is generally a waste of time. They are right that there is no link between local maps and the satellite reception. However, they did not give you any help on what to do.

If you had no map installed and you booted up your device, it would give you a message the "no maps found". However, it has the Europe map active I believe, so you would not get that message.

To see if you have satellite reception, first tun it on and leave it on for awhile (15-20 minutes), and then you can open up the GPS screen to see if you have reception.

To do that, tap the lower right corner of your screen. It will show a ber on the right side that will have the battery meter at the top, plus satellite bars just below. It should indicate the number of satellites it is receiving. Tap the satellite bars, and it will open up a full GPS status page. If it does not show any satellites when you first open it - leave it on and it will update its status continuously.

Also, if you have not already done so - do a pin reset FIRST.

Hi Gaw, after a long while I eventually got my GPS signal, why does it last so long???

I tried to buy the US map online and am getting this error message:

ERROR: 236/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: %2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
%2AIT payment server returned an unexpected error%2A
Server function called: initiatePayment
Error code: 236
URL: https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:437
this.errorSeverity);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:413
this._doneCallbacks();
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/comm.js:273
this.request.onload = function() { me._done(true); }

Time: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 23:34:51 GMT

It is true that TomTom are so well off they don't need new sales...what's going on with this company???

I am so close to replace the Go with a Garmin unit!!

Did you perhaps try to pay with a US debit card? Or were you in the UK site when you tried to pay?

make sure you go to the icon manage maps and you must choose the north american maps. If its not their nothing will work. Also when you turn it on you might have to wait 5 minuits until it acquires your location. Good Luck

Do you have an account set up the US TomTom webpage (email address, password)? If so, make sure your device is assigned to it in Home also. Then when you log into your account on TomTom Home and select the US or North American map to purchase, it should work - try again. If not, you can probably do it over the phone with TT support. trust me - the want to sell you a map.

After you get the map purchased under that account, when you open home and log on to that account, it should offer to download it. It will take some time, but if you are disconnected - don't worry - you have 12 months to download it, and also to re-download it if you accidentally erased or damaged it.

Why is that so complicated, I only want to buy a map! I called TomTom support, they don't know why this is happening!

Anyone can sell me a US map over ftp or by sd card? TomTom seem to have forgotten their business is about selling maps too!

Can you check in Control Panel-->Add Programs, whether you have dot net framework installed? If not, go here, dl and install it and try the purchasing process through Home again, please.

I noticed you're using the Chrome browser. Try again using Explorer. I have had issues on some sites using Chrome when confirmation is required.

Ok, 250 Mb later and after setting IE to be my main browser still no luck...the error message attached seems clear to me though, its an error with the TomTom payment server, right?

my offer to buy a second hand map remains; anyone?

Attachments

• tomtom.jpg
    tomtom.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 346
You are a perfect victim for a crook.:D

A map from someone else won't work in your unit.

Please take this message seriously just in case somebody offer to sell you a map.

Ask a Question