"No Route Found"

I went to this place and added it via GPS position as a favorite. Then I went home.

When I got home, I decided to see what route TT selected to get to that favorite, but when I told it to navigate there, it said "no route found".

How can that be???

If the TT does not associate your position with a specific address on thei map, it will do that. I had the opposite problem with their original map. My street was not on it, so if I locked in my actual home position as "home", it could not compute a route home. I had to set my home position up on an adjacent street.

This could happen if you set the POI off the road and in a parking lot or private drive, it will not be able to plan a route to it. TT thought I was homeless until the newer maps came out.

If the TT does not associate your position with a specific address on the map, it will do that. I had the opposite problem with their original map. My street was not on it, so if I locked in my actual home position as "home", it could not compute a route home. I had to set my home position up on an adjacent street.

This could happen if you set the POI off the road and in a parking lot or private drive, it will not be able to plan a route to it. TT thought I was homeless until the newer maps came out.
I agree with "parking lot" because that's where I was when I set the POI ("favorite"?).

But if the POI is on a private road (my HOME, for example), TT will set a route to the closest point on a public road.

Why won't it do that for a parking lot?

Thanks.

Because you were too far from the nearest road. The map contains zero positional data for off-road areas.

When the position is relatively close to the road, the position can be 'snapped' to the nearest road and a route created. When it is not close enough to a road, you get 'no route found'. Move your stored location to the nearest road, or car park entrance, and you get a route.

Don't count on a direct way out of the parking lot...

Yet it "knows" enough to direct me from that spot to the nearest road!

TomTom's navigation logic points to the closest known/mapped position when you are in an unknown location. It is entirely possible that there is no direct method to get to the position being pointed at. You very well may have to drive around to find an appropriate exit from the parking lot, or otherwise unknown position. Been there...done that!:rolleyes:

TomTom's navigation logic points to the closest known/mapped position when you are in an unknown location. It is entirely possible that there is no direct method to get to the position being pointed at. You very well may have to drive around to find an appropriate exit from the parking lot, or otherwise unknown position. Been there...done that!:rolleyes:
Actually, the point in question is close to the road and TT directs me quite nicely!

Actually, the point in question is close to the road...
If you can't 'Navigate to..' it, it isn't close enough. When navigating from that point, it must be the case for you that the nearest road is also the logical exit/entrance. If the nearest road happened to be unreachable from your off-road position, it would still try to navigate you to it.

As I said, your TT knows nothing about offroad areas. Nothing. It knows your current position of course, all GPS do, but that data is not in the map. Only the position of roads (and POI's) is in the map.

Current position -> nearest (mapped) road = easy (straight line).
Current position (on mapped road) -> unknown (unmapped) location = impossible.

Use Itenarary

I recently had the same problem for the first time after owning my GO510 for about a year. I was navigating to a place about 1 hr away in NJ. I setup destinations for my wife using google maps using lat/long. When I put it in the tomtom, it correctly identified the street. It started planning the route, finished processing and gave me the error message.

I tried:
entering Lat/Long
entering cross streets
picking a point using TomTom's map on the unit
reformatting my card
getting the latest software from TomTom Home
even using the GUI in TomTom home to plan route ( GUI is very slick )

Nothing helped the problem

I couldn't really get rid of stuff on the card to get more space because the included maps of US/Cananda take up most of the space. I was able to plan a trip to an address in MI over 10 hours away, so I don't think it was processing or memory that was the issue.

Work around.

I found a neat feature "Itenerary" which was on the TomTom home GUI but not on my TomTom??? maybe hidden by default. When I went to preferences on the unit I said show all options. Using the itenerary, I picked about 4 locations on route to where she needed to go. This was great because I determined what I thought was a better route anyway. I did this on the TomTom home interface and it was much easier than using the unit's touch screen. Personally I hate having written directions that don't match what Tomtom suggests. Each point was set as a "way point" and only the final location was a destination. I asked it to plan the route using the itenerary. It echoed back that the first stop would be my final destination. AND.... it was able to plan that route.

Of course. this doesn't help if you are in the middle of nowhere and need to just give a final destination, but with a little luck, you might be able to use the touchscreen and set a way point somewhere in the middle of where you are going and actually get to your final destation.

Good luck.

If you can't 'Navigate to..' it, it isn't close enough. When navigating from that point, it must be the case for you that the nearest road is also the logical exit/entrance. If the nearest road happened to be unreachable from your off-road position, it would still try to navigate you to it.

As I said, your TT knows nothing about offroad areas. Nothing. It knows your current position of course, all GPS do, but that data is not in the map. Only the position of roads (and POI's) is in the map.

Current position -> nearest (mapped) road = easy (straight line).
Current position (on mapped road) -> unknown (unmapped) location = impossible.

This is not off-road; it is a "private" road, shown on the TT map!

It will navigate me away from that point, but not to it.

It's acting properly then. Private roads are not accessible for routing purposes.

This is not off-road; it is a "private" road, shown on the TT map!

It will navigate me away from that point, but not to it.

That is not what you said previously!

I agree with "parking lot" because that's where I was when I set the POI ("favorite"?).

It is quite simple really;

You can't navigate to a point for which you have no mapping (i.e. not on the road network), because there is nowhere to navigate to. You can navigate away from such a point because TT will first send you to the nearest known point (the road) and plan from there.

You can't navigate to a private road, because it is marked as private. TT will navigate you as far as the public road network will allow. You can navigate from such point when on a private network, because you do have map data for it.

You should be able to navigate to a point on a private network from inside that private network, just not from a location on the public network. As dhn says, this is entirely correct. Why would you be able to navigate across a private road network from a public one?

I had the opposite problem with their original map. My street was not on it, so if I locked in my actual home position as "home", it could not compute a route home. I had to set my home position up on an adjacent street.

I keep saying that this is not true.
A point chosen with coordinates (use Tyre, edit POI) will display exactly on the map,
see attachment.
It will tell "You have arrived" at the end of the route on the road,
it will not tell you to make the turn to get off road.

View attachment 2179

Last edited:
There is a difference between Favorite and POI.
Favorites roll over after 48 entries. If you have one you expect to visit more often,
turn it into a POI and save it in a personal POI category you created.
That parking lot one is exactly as the screen print in my previous post.
Open Tyre, Open the POI category, open the POI, edit, use Google,
drag the point to the exact spot you want and save.

I did the same thing with my home address after the 2008 Google maps
moved my street address 86 m form my actual coordinates.

Ask a Question