No POI, no problemo

Hm. I downloaded and played with Tyre. But it's quite unclear as to how exactly one downloads POI's from Google Earth.

For example, if I type in Flying J in Google Earth, how do I gather ALL those POI's into TomTom for all of North America? Or rest stops or Wal-Marts etc. etc. for the continent?

You have to download/install Google Earth (free version).
I just found it last night, played for 15 min, so I haven't yet enough experience.
But it's love at first bite.

One thing you can do is: Locate your depart & your destination. Have Google draw the route , then you can save it as an ITN file (in the ITN folder) - and use it to navigate (as an Itinary).

Or locate your POI, the coordinates is shown at the bottom of the screen - with the cursor positioned at the POI, enter that coordinates in TomTom as a POI - or simply use it for an inpromptu navigation.

Or you can Import the OV2 TomTom files and see all your POI on Google Earth.
It looks complicated, but the possibilities there are huge.
One thing for sure Google Earth will find what you're looking for.

Moderators: Please move the post to the '3rd party softwar' forum. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd be wary of relying solely on GOOGLE EARTH! :eek: I made POI's of the Wawa stores in NJ and DEL and I had to use MAPQUEST, my One, and Wawa's own maps to verify the accuracy of more than a few locations that were listed on GOOGLE EARTH! :(

While GOOGLE EARTH is a great tool, you should still cross-check your data for accuracy using whatever other means is available! :)

I agree.
Nothing is perfect, but using one (or several) to crosscheck against the other, we have more accuracy.
I have problems with S&T too, especially when using 'Search on Window Live' - sometime it give the right address, but the pin is completely off.
Google Earth at least is free, it's Navteq, so it complements nicely for TomTom' Teleatlas.

Tyre

Google sees anywhere on Earth.
TomTom goes anywhere on Earth.

Awesome program that marries the two.

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php

I want to give this thread a bump, I just discovered Tyre through another post. WOW, what a cool little program. :D

As lec510 said, "love at first byte". I'll get Tyred of it in a week, but for now it's more fun than a bag of cats. :)

would be great if...

I could import addresses straight from outlook or csv files exported from outlook... I have a bunch of addresses I want to get in there & it would be so much easier if I could do it straight from outlook.

Ask a Question