No Motorways

Hi

I need some advise please.

This week my motorway I go home was closed and my existing sat nav kept directing me to the motorway, a normal half an hour journey took my 1.5 hours, I got most distressed and was crying all the way home and my sense of direction is dreadful at the best of times.

My plan of action is to buy a sat nav that I can enter in the settings 'no motorways', so if it is closed again, it will take the way home via normal roads, I understand not all of the new sat navs have this feature. I have tried to email Tomtom and it is saying my username is not recognised (even though it recognises my account).

I would like the new ones which tells you which street you are entering on as I think this will be a big help.

I am looking for a Sat Nav that will do the job (not necessarily the cheapest)

I would love to hear from anybody!

Many thanks

advisorchic

Last edited:
Hi,

I know the XL series has the option to 'avoid freeways' (or motorways). I have the XL-335TM and one of the screens for planning preferences looks like this:

TomTom_ONE_XL_094.jpg

...fourth option down

I think my 3 year old TT 3rd edition offered that as a choice, not sure.

I don't know what type GPS you currently have, but if it's a Garmin Nuvi, you can hack it by following the instructions in this link:
How to force "Least Use of Highway" on A Garmin Nuvi (GPSmagazine.com)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The problem, Rick, is the OP is in the UK (hint: 'sat nav' instead of 'gps' and 'motorways' instead of 'highway').

[besides, as a mod, I can check her IP location :D ]

As such, the XL models in the UK do NOT have text to speech and there are precious few non-EasyMenu models with TTS at the moment.

The relatively new T1000 does fit the bill but for various reasons I can't recommend that model at this time.

To the OP: if you can find a refurbished 730, it will do all you want......... and more.

Oops. Thanks dhn for chiming in.

Sorry to 'advisorchic' if the info I provided was incorrect.

As you are UK based consider a Go-530 Refurb directly from TomTom, a well specified device that does all you want from it, to be honest its a better product in terms of capability and options than the current top of the range model, click Here for more details. Being a refurb you still get a warranty and most (if not all) are fitted with a new screen prior to dispatch - Mike

I often wonder what the exact difference is between fastest route and shortest route??
Fastest must mean less traffic and less traffic lights etc..
and shortest would be all side roads .

but wouldn't that mean many extra minutes of time for navigating the distance???
so which would be more advantageous ????

I often wonder what the exact difference is between fastest route and shortest route??
Fastest must mean less traffic and less traffic lights etc..
and shortest would be all side roads .

but wouldn't that mean many extra minutes of time for navigating the distance???
so which would be more advantageous ????
They are exactly what they say they are.

Shortest route is easy to compute. It's a least cost routing algorithm that takes nothing into account apart from total mileage from start to destination. By shortest, your TT refers to distance, not "shortest time".

Fastest takes whatever information your particular unit has available into account. If you have IQRoutes, it uses that information, sliced and diced by day of week and time of day. If not, it uses fixed road speeds based upon the classifications TeleAtlas has assigned to particular roads. It also applies any known traffic issues that your unit might be able to access .. RDS-TMC or "Live", and adds that to the computation. This least cost routing algorithm attempts to reduce the total time from start to destination, regardless of the mileage involved.

Ask a Question