No Mark Location - Mapshare XL 350TM

Just go this unit to replace my GO630. It has the selections for mapshare corrections, but no way to mark a position for later while driving.
According to another thread it can be enable by selecting an option under mapshare, but there is no icon where it should be. Anyone have any ideas?

It might simply not be available on that model.

Couldn't you just use a Favourite instead to mark the position?

Mark Postion

Perhaps that is the case, but it;s funny that they kept all the mapshare coorection icons. Not much you can do though if you can't mark the location :)

......it's funny that they kept all the mapshare coorection icons. Not much you can do though if you can't mark the location :)

I'm not sure I follow you... You don't NEED that button to make corrections.
Over the years, I must have made hundreds of MapShare corrections on various models, but I have never bothered to put that "locate position while driving" button on screen.

I always use a Favourite to mark the position of the problem, mainly becaude I can use the name of the Favourite to make notes to remind myself of what I want to correct.

Back at home, I use Browse map / FInd Favourite to go back to the place on the map, then use the Blue cursor button / Correct Location to actually make the correction with MapShare.

Works for me... :)

I guess that works as well. One of the problems I used to have when I marked positions is not remembering what was going on there when I finally got around to correcting it for mapshare.

I've just done a batch of map corrections this morning, from my drives over the weekend.
So I had Favourites marked with names like:

".Blocked with gate"
".ALG wrong at r.bout"
".No r turn here"
(Note I use a full stop/period at the beginning of the names so they all appear at the top of the Favourites list when I come to review them).

It's easy to go back to the spot using "Browse map" and I can also re-create the journey using the demo route feature.
If they are needed, I can take screen grabs from the route demo to add to my report too.

That's all true. My GO630 had a quick menu button on the map screen for quick marking which was a nice option.

Wow! I've always used the quick menu "mark location of map error" icon, but Andy_P's idea of using favorites instead sounds fantastic, especially because of the ability to use demo mode, or browse the map, to see exactly what was marked and where when it is time to review the correction locations.

Great stuff! I'll have to try this alternate method.

Making the corrections really can be painful, but at least this way it should be easier to remember them correctly ... as long as I don't run out of favorites! I'm not very good at converting my favorites to personal POI categories yet. ... :(

I'm not very good at converting my favorites to personal POI categories yet. ... :(

Let us know if you need any help with that one!

Don't forget you can also save locations straight into a POI category as well as to a Favourite, so you could make a POI category for "Temporary map corrections"(you can do that on most TomToms in "Manage POIs), but I don't do it that way on the road because it's too many button presses.

However, once I've done the MapShare reporting, I do save the location in a POI category like that, and then delete the Favourite again.
It means I can check whether the correction has been carried over to a new map (if I ever get around to it!:p)

However, once I've done the MapShare reporting, I do save the location in a POI category like that, and then delete the Favourite again.
It means I can check whether the correction has been carried over to a new map (if I ever get around to it!:p)
You are FULL of good ideas, Andy_P! ... :lol:

I know how to do the POI transfer thingy, I'm just too lazy mostly, and don't usually bother since I rarely need more than 48 favorites for daily commuter use (and the occasional trip or horse show outing). It sounds like it's time for me to turn over a new leaf, however, with those excellent suggestions. ... :thumb:

Ask a Question