No maps found!

I'd recommend taking the SD card out temporarily, just to isolate the troubleshooting.

Then do a "chkdsk /f" on the Tomtom drive.

Then see if it still says no maps found. If it does, can you post a screenshot or list of the files in the North_America_2gb folder?

I did a checkdisk (it's ok). The files now are unreadable. There is also one from 07/01/2037. What the heck is going on? Without the SD card it won't get past the screen with the TT on it. It seems to be in a different language now.

Also there are no updates available. I don't know how to give you a screenshot. I wish I could - it looks pretty silly.

sounds like your drive is corrupt. do you have any good backups of the north america folder?

If the files in that backup folder are good (eg files like cline.dat are present in it, not cyrillic characters), then do this:

1) remove the SD card
2) do this kind of backup of the Tomtom drive (if it doesn't work, that's OK)
3) format the Tomtom, with quickformat disabled (if you get bad sectors, or if it takes more than 30 minutes to format, then post back and don't continue with the steps below)
4) copy your backup north_america_2gb folder onto the Tomtom
5) wait until the red X disappears on the Tomtom screen, and then disconnect the Tomtom from the computer
6) turn on the Tomtom until you see a red X (it creates some system files when this happens)
7) plug the Tomtom into your computer and start up Tomtom HOME, keep running Update My GO until nothing is offerred
8) press the blue button in HOME to disconnect the Tomtom and see if it starts up properly

OK, I finished step 5 and my TT is showing an SD card being removed with a red x on it. Do you know what that means?

Your step 6 says to turn on the TT but it never turned off after I disconnected (properly) from TThome.

It's still showing that screen but I can't wait any longer. Time to move to step 6.

OK then. Enough for now. thanks, but it's time to get some dinner. Maybe try again. Maybe throw my TT away and get something that works, (if there IS something, that is.)

I'm starting to think your internal memory is dead. They tend to wear out after 2-3 years of heavy use.

If that is the case, you can run entirely off the SD card if it is big enough: The Tomtom application and map take up 2gb, then you'd need whatever extra space stores your mp3s. You can use SD cards up to 32gb in size in a GO 730.

Here's how to run entirely off the SD

1) take out the SD card from the Tomtom
2) quickformat the Tomtom internal
3) run a chkdsk /f on the SD card
4) put the SD card into a card reader, and copy the North Amerca 2GB folder onto it
5) use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the SD card
6) turn off the Tomtom (while plugged in), then disconnect the Tomtom, then put the SD card into the Tomtom
7) then on the Tomtom, and see if it starts up
8) If it starts up successfully, reconnect to HOME, and if prompted choose the External drive
9) do "Update my GO" repeatedly until there is nothing additional offerred for download

STill no maps found and each time it reboots after downloading a new app it goes into a foreign language andhas to be all reset again. I am in the middle of doing it again.

Ask a Question