No maps found!

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
Latest error message on my "updated" Go 720 is "no maps found". There is a large map in the Go's directory. No Bluetooth or music either. Is this the part where I have to become a computer expert again. Shudder...

Gridlok

IWhatever it prompts me to update automatically when it connects to the TT website.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. You should see a North_America map folder with a bunch of files inside? Do you?

Also, is the latest map you have for your unit? (latest is 850). IOW, is it an upgrade from the map that first came with your unit?

I have North-America-2Gb with many files in it. Not sure how to tell what version I have other than the date 4/12/2009.

Thanks for quick reply, by the way.

Okay, in order.......try these steps:

1. do a pin reset on the unit and see if that fixes the issue.
2. If not, then you have a backup (hopefully Explorer) that you can restore?
3. If not, try the 'Restore to Factory Defaults'. You'll lose all your custom settings but try it.
4. If that doesn't work, download and run 3 times the Clear Flash tool found here

5. If no success so far, report back............

ALSO........

I need to ask. What application is on your unit? It should be 8.351. Tap the satellite bars on the unit and the next screen shows the version number.

My application is 8.351. I have tried pin resets, No go.Can't find a backup. Not sure where it is located in Win7. I have no screen (no maps found) to set to factory defaults. So I should try the Clear flash tool?

So I think I did that right but it is still locked on the splash page with a pic of the 720. When I go to operate it on my computer,it says no maps found.

Also I chose the internal memory even though it has a card in it. I hav never really understood why I have that choice. My card just has mp3s on it.

Next plan......................

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

Once you're sure there is the backup on your computer, use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.

Connect your unit to Home. It should offer an application. Download and install.

Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Restart the unit. Any better?

Well, for some reason it wanted to install everything twice, so I went through all that, only to get the"no maps found" message. I restarted it but it seems to be stuck on the page with the pic of the 720 again. And doesn't connect to the computer.

I rebooted it again, it connected but shows no maps in the directory. Are you sure I should have my SD card in?. My computer shows the contents of my SD card by the way.

If the map you have on the unit is an upgrade from that which originally came, you should find it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\all users\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see it there when you use Explorer?

Darn!

Well, I guess the map on your unit is the one that originally came with it.........

Since you DO see the NA map folder on your unit, (right?) and you have reinstalled the application 8.351, about the only thing I can suggest is, assuming you've just done the Explorer backup, is to reformat the unit's drive. Don't use quickformat. Then use Explorer to restore the backup.

Other than that.............I really don't know what to suggest.

And do another pin reset now. See if you can connect to the computer after doing so.............

I did the pin reset and it connected to my computer. There is no map file, no NA file

I get an error message when it logs on to TT website saying an error occurred, something about connectivity (which may be at Tomtom). Maybe I'll try later. I sure appreciate the help but sheesh!!

You DO have the map on the unit, though? You said so in an earlier post. If so, it should also be on your Explorer backup??

Is the answer 'yes' to both questions?

If so, another shot in the dark............

Restore your Explorer backup to a 4 gig sdhc card (you have a card reader?). Insert the card into the unit and boot up. See what happens.

Ask a Question