No Maps Found! After Update Go Live 820

TomTom Model(s)
GO LIVE 820
Hello all.

I didn't want to hijack Prem's thread but this is very similar.

I plugged my GO LIVE 820 into my PC tonight after receiving an email about new LIVE services. MyTomTom said there were 3 updates waiting, including system version 11.031, so I said go for it. [After reading lots of posts I now realise that I should have unticked the maps and services, and made backup - not done either.] Left it to do its thing and about 10 minutes later I was staring at "No maps found!"

I have since cleared MyTomTom's cache, Shift-closed, (reinstalled), cleared browser cache, (tried FFox, Chrome and IE in compatibility mode), reset GO LIVE 820 (20 second power button press - cannot navigate to factory setting restore or anywhere else).

Reset gives "tomtom" vertically on LHS and drum sound (1 sec), welcome screen (10 secs), blank screen (1 sec), welcome screen (10 secs), "No maps found!" (blue text on black 3 secs), "No maps found!" (blue and black text on grey window with red edge/background). Full message continues "Insert a memory card containing an map or use MyTomTom to install a map.

I can get a "format SD card?" message if I insert an SD card but get straight back to "no maps found!" when I say "no" to formatting.

I can't get to the diagnostic screen that Prem had and I can't get a recovery to occur by pressing the power button quickly 3 times at any point during a reset.

I have a map subscription so not too worried about wiping everything. I also have a copy of the installation folder (disk backup), including the cache folder which seems to contain a 300 MB map of UK and ROI.

Any ideas?

Not much of a backup you can do with "MyTomTom". Not like the old days, anyway.

I take it that MyTomTom is not offering you a map of any kind? What happens if you switch to the Manage content page on MyTomTom? What does it show for space on your unit, and do you see any maps listed?

1206 MB free

Maps UK & ROI v8.85

Attachments

• 820.jpg
    820.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 662
Argh. Well, it says you already have a map (free memory makes sense since you don't have the full W. Europe map), and the amount of memory in use confirms that. It's not as though you can tidily delete the map like we could in the old days, either. I see you have map update service through 2013. I take it you purchased a subscription, and that was part of the update ... 885 was being sent to you.

I don't think recovery would help in this particular case, but it sounds like you have never actually gotten to the point where you could attempt it. It's done by holding down the power button past the drums and logo and until you see the diag screen (white text on black background). It's at that point that the three fast presses have to be accomplished.

Think we're onto something here!

I got the diagnostics screen, 3 presses, restarted - and then a graphic showing 4 cogs turning, followed by graphic showing connect to PC and go to tomtom.com/getstarted.

Getting "Busy repairing your device - Downloading 0% ... "(screenshot attached) and then detiorates (on mytomtom site) into a cycle of "Connecting ..." , then "Installing ...", then "Not connected".

But I think that's 'cos I'm at work and firewall is preventing a connection - "Verify connection" fails on all 3 options in the Connection tab of Mytomtom (the local app).

Will try again tonight from home.

Fingers crossed. Premature thanks to canderson!

Update to follow.

Attachments

• 820.jpg
    820.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 591
I hope it works. If not, you're going to have to return that one to TomTom. At a minimum, you will receive new firmware. Start with that alone, then try to load the map afterward .. TWO steps, not one.

Sounds exactly like my problem, I downloaded all 3 updates rather than 1 by 1. (I could also see the map in manage contents and it formatted any memory i put in)

I think you'll be pretty happy when you get home and apply the updates individually.

Here's what happened when i reset by device (via the 3 press suicide reboot)

The device rebooted, and wanted me to connect to my PC. I did so and seemed like it was busy, it rebooted a few times and then all of a sudden I had 4 updates waiting in my system tray.

Application
Map
Voices
Speed Camera

Downloaded the Application first, without device being connected, connected to device and it started to install, but then said connection to server lost. So I downloaded each update separately and installed one by one. Low and behold it took me through device setup and into the menu system. You can imagine I was over joyed!!

Bingo!

We're back in business. Device has been totally reset but I can live with that.

Well deserved thanks to canderson and Prem for doing all the hard work before I came along.

Good deal! That's a couple we've been able to save from RMA. This might be turning into a 'case file' for the folks back at TT.

Couple of things to watch out for
- lost the computer voice (+ not available to download)
- lost the opening and closing images
The computer voice is a bit of a pain because it seems to be necessary for voice control/recognition. Guess I can RMA if I decide I really need that feature.

Did you try resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds or so?

In other words, what happens when you go to voice preference? Can you not select a computer voice?

@Syntax Error
I noted an unexpected download in Prem's post ...
Application
Map
Voices
Speed Camera

Did you see "Voices" when you downloaded the last time? I would have expected the computer voice to be part of the overall download.

@Prem
What kind of voices did it offer, or could you tell?

@dhn
Yes, power button held down until hear the drum roll and tomtom appears vertically on LHS.
Voice - Bottom row of first Settings screen shows "Change voice", "Voice settings" and "Voice control". [screenshot 1]
Change voice brings up "Jane", which I downloaded yesterday. [screenshot 2]
Voice Settings is greyed out.
Voice Controls bring up "Enable Voice control" and "What to say". First is on/off switch and second is list of phrases to use. Set voice control to "on".
Added "Voice command and control" to "Make your own menu" so that icon appears on main screen. Click on that icon and get message "PLEASE NOTE: Voice control requires a computer voice" [screenshot 3]

@canderson
I didn't see Voices in my lists - either in the list of downloads that caused the problems or in last nights list of downloads.
I spotted it in Prem's post and assumed he'd paid for some premium voices.
As I mentioned to dhn, I manually downloaded Jane's voice last night. That was to get around the messages telling me that voice instructions/directions were not available as no voices were installed.
From the "Download and install voices" page of the Support site, for GO LIVE 800 series and others,
"Note: Computer voices are not yet available to download."

Attachments

• screenshot 1.jpg
    screenshot 1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 476
  • screenshot 2.jpg
    screenshot 2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 445
  • screenshot 3.jpg
    screenshot 3.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 462
Hi Guys

I have the exact same problem as "Syntax Error", the reason why voices was in my list od downloads was when i bricked my device i downloaded some of the free voices to see if i could force some sort of update to kick my device into gear. But it didn't allow me to install those voices. When i did the "3 press suicide reboot" it recognised i had Voice downloads as well. i only downloaded a few of the free ones, didn't get any premimum ones.

"Computer vocies are not yet avaiable to Download"

IIs there any way of downloading a computer voice not from MyTomTom???
On another thread I've TT are trying to resolve this issue and will be avaliable in the near future (How long is a piece of string.)

Sorry, no, the computer voices can't be downloaded from another source, and there's presently no way to install a new computer voice using MyTomTom. We'll be very interested to know how this gets resolved if it can be done without returning the units for reflash at TomTom.

Sent off another email to TT, see what they say, I believe i will have to send the device back to fix it. Its not really that much of a problem for me as yet, and i will RMA it when i need to.

Will update you when i get a response.

Also is it the coomputer voice that reads out the Road Names and other messages, rather than the Human Voice i.e Jane\Tim?

Actually, Prem, we call them 'recorded' vs. 'computer' voices. The recorded version (readily available out on the net at both TomTom and other sources) is simply that, recordings of someone providing certain key phrases and words that will be used for navigation. The 'computer' voice is very different in that it takes text and attempts to pronounce it, including street and city names.

At present, the newer units have a facility for adding a different recorded voice, but as yet no facility in MyTomTom to add additional computer voices - at least not that we have discovered.

Thought you might be interested, impressed or worried, that I RMA'd my device and have been sent a brand new unit instead of my old device repaired. I'm not sure if this is because the old one was irreparable or because it was beyond econcomic repair. Will leave it to you to speculate. [Old device was 6 months old.]

Off to set up and then check for updates again - but will install ONE AT A TIME!

Ask a Question