"No Maps Found "after NEW XXL 540TM first update!

Err...whats w/the TT ngneers.....File size is 20 meg too large so the blast the maps off that came packaged with this one?....wow..Now it is useless...literally. As is Tom Toms site..Plug and play? Err...Plug and "no display".

Know this has been addressed....any way to get them back w/out 3 hrs of CSR time in Toronto?

Just plugged her in...downloaded new maps..and "poof" no maps found. If the update is too big; why blow the preloaded maps off from the factory? Perhaps not load them if they are too large?

Any help would be appreciated....TT Home keeps scrolling and I have searched the net to no avail....

Thanks!

Greg

PS....Soft restart...Shows highlighted "Sector Protection"...NO.

First, see if you don't already have the map on your PC. If it's there, recovery from this mess won't be all that painful.

Look here for the map

My Documents > TomTom > HOME > Downloads > complete > map

In that folder, you should find one map folder. It should contain a file called activation.zip, and one each *.toc, *.zip and two *.gif files with your map name as the root of the name.

Is all of that there?

I'm not the original poster however I am having the same problem

i do have the those files:
Activation.zip
meta.dct
meta.dct 2
2 gifs
1 toc
1 zip
what do i do next? Help!

Okay........

Look here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

What you are seeing are the contents of the cab file here:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

So, use WinRar as explained in the link above to extract the contents to your unit.

BUT...........................

Make the Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit first.

Well dhn I followed the instructions and now it will not start. I hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds and it will give me the "TomTom" splash screen and remain on as if it will start for several seconds and then goes off. The USB will not connect to the pc, however i do get a green light on the TT. TT home and explore do not see the device. Any I

Try using a different usb port or a different cable. See if it connects to the computer. If so, make an Explorer backup. Reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Connect to Home and a new application should be offered. Install. Then reinstall the map using the instructions in the link in the thread.

Same exact problem

Very disappointed in TomTom so far.

My Amazon review is going to be pretty negative, but my YouTube review will be hilarious as I extol the benefits of the custom startup screens with NO maps.

Pretty much my GPS with lifetime map updates and no maps is like my cellphone with unlimited service and no phone function. Jealous yet?

Very disappointed in TomTom so far.

My Amazon review is going to be pretty negative, but my YouTube review will be hilarious as I extol the benefits of the custom startup screens with NO maps.

Pretty much my GPS with lifetime map updates and no maps is like my cellphone with unlimited service and no phone function. Jealous yet?

I am having the same issues with mine as well. I've been trying to figure this out but quite honestly, I am on the verge of returning this TT device and going to select a competitors product. I am so frustrated with the experience I have had so far.

I too took mine out of the box, followed the opening instructions (Enter language, time, home, and started with an initial adress to map) after that, I decided to set up HOME on my iMac.

After following the instructions, I was prompted to update my device and the maps. Now the device has no maps, the files are too large, and it's a useless $200 sitting on my counter.

I'm going to call the customer service line this morning and if I fail to get my TomTom 325 XL S running, I will sadly go elsewhere. I say sadly because I was looking forward to C3P0 giving me directions.

I have a similar problem. My second XXL 540-S unit cannot use the map I downloaded for my first device. First of all IT IS THE FREE UPDATE!!! I created a new account for the second device and the HOME crapware found the free 1.6G map update downloaded previously. Good deal. I didn't have to download it again. I let the crapware install the map and now the device cannot use the map. I cannot go back to the original map because it was overwritten. NO, I didn't make a backup before I updated the map. I have spent hours researching. Performed resets, reinstall, and flash crapware. Now, I can't find any way to get a map working on this unit without purchasing it. NO WAY!
The original unit is OK for the price so I purchased a second unit for another vehicle. Now, I will return this device for a refund and go to a different manufacture.

Regardless of whether a map is free or not, it is still locked to one device when installed.

If you go to the location of the download maps (look in Home's -->Tools-->Preferences-->Folders tab to see the location of downloaded files, then use Explorer torename the 'download' folder to 'downloadold'.

Connect the new unit (if you haven't returned it) and see if the map is offered again.

Thanks for the reply. I read a previous post and tried that. It will not offer any free maps. I understand that the maps are locked to one unit. The Home software should not allow users to install the same map on a different unit especially if a new account was created. That's what happens when engineers write software instead of hiring professionals to do it. It's a shame that a nice piece of hardware gets effectively destroyed by poor software.

If your device starts up with "no maps found", and renaming "download" to "downloadOLD" didn't help, and you have no backup, then call Tomtom phone support.

HOME is extremely picky about installing maps, but phone support can override the map installation process on the server side. Be prepared to email or fax a copy of your purchase receipt.

If the device won't start up at all, see this post. There's a good chance you got a bad batch that was in stores around black friday.

Map Update Large File XXL540TM

I have seen several notes about the files being too large when customers went to update their maps. Having this as my second TomTom, I really never had a problem with my first one although I did let the maps go out of date. Is there a special procedure for getting one of the quarterly maps installed? Is it best to go onto TomTom Home and remove the existing map before trying to download the new one?

Thanks for the help. Hoping to get it right the first time.

Always a good idea to make an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to a major download such as a map.

You shouldn't have a problem (hopefully) in that the updated map should overwrite the existing one already installed.

But, you will have the backup, just in case........

I have seen several notes about the files being too large when customers went to update their maps.
While a different problem in Europe, in the U.S., this has largely been a problem of either a connection loss/restart issue, or Mac users where the trash can (containing the old map files) on the TomTom doesn't get emptied and as a result, the new map won't fit.

Ask a Question