No longer able to add GPS location as favorite

This worked fine when I first bought my 920. Now, in every condition, it tells me it has poor GPS reception and asks if I'm inside a building. Despite having been fine up to the time I try to add my GPS location.
This is a major pain. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

This worked fine when I first bought my 920. Now, in every condition, it tells me it has poor GPS reception and asks if I'm inside a building. Despite having been fine up to the time I try to add my GPS location.
This is a major pain. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Doug

Have you downloaded a Quickfix lately? If not, try that. If you have, try resetting the unit with a paperclip.

I agree with dhn. My friend had the same problem because he never connected his unit to TT HOME for the quickfix updates.

I agree with dhn. My friend had the same problem because he never connected his unit to TT HOME for the quickfix updates.
I thought I was doing this often enough, apparently not. It looks as though it is working now. How often are you supposed to connect it?
Thanks all.
Doug

Once every 7 days.

However, I think your problem was more related to having the need for a reset.

Any time the units acts funny, do a reset.

Everytime I change SD cards or disconnect from the computer, I reset!!

Well since I get map updates, I check daily.
I believe there is a new quickfix available every 3 days.

Once every 7 days.

However, I think your problem was more related to having the need for a reset.

Any time the units acts funny, do a reset.

Everytime I change SD cards or disconnect from the computer, I reset!!

I was under the impression that doing a reset would lose all the favorites, itineries, etc. that you have added. I doubt you reenter these everytime you disconnect from your computer so I must be mistaken. What exactly does a reset do?

I was under the impression that doing a reset would lose all the favorites, itineries, etc. that you have added. I doubt you reenter these everytime you disconnect from your computer so I must be mistaken. What exactly does a reset do?
Doing a 'factory reset' from the preferences menu will lose your settings. Using the 'reset' hole in the bottom just forces it to switch off and re-boot. Using the power button just turns off the screen and speaker.

No that is a "restore to factory default", which is a Menu selection on the device.

A reset is a push on the recessed button on the bottom with a paperclip.

Perhaps we have a nomenclature issue? A reset is a soft boot up of the Operating system. All Favs, itins, etc are preserved.

A Restore to Default is a Harder boot up, wiping the machine back to original status (so only POIs) are preserved.

A paperclip reset does nothing more than rebalancing the equilibrium of the device and should be done whenever there is a doubt that the device is off kilter!

A paperclip reset does nothing more than rebalancing the equilibrium of the device and should be done whenever there is a doubt that the device is off kilter!

What's your understanding as to the difference between using the paperclip vs. the "Clear Flash" tool?

What's your understanding as to the difference between using the paperclip vs. the "Clear Flash" tool?

I cant recall the PGPSW explanation, but a clearflash apparently wipes out everything in internal memory, RAM, ROM and flash memory.

A reset is just an Oper. system reboot. Volatile memory is perserved by Battery, is my guess.

Clearflash is the hardest reboot, followed by restore to default, followed by simple pin reboot.

I think there are 2 ways:
1- 'Add Favorites'/'Current GPS position' ... this works if you have a GPS signnal
2- 'Add Position to Favorites' (can be put into Quick Menu) ... this works only if you have a Route, and your car is moving.

I think there are 2 ways:
1- 'Add Favorites'/'Current GPS position' ... this works if you have a GPS signnal
2- 'Add Position to Favorites' (can be put into Quick Menu) ... this works only if you have a Route, and your car is moving.
I've got a button on my main page (the green arrow one you can set to do various things) which is Add Position to Favorites and works at all times, not just when I have a route or the car is moving.
Doug

Quickfix

My understanding is that Quickfix is just a file that tells the unit where the satellites will be the next seven days. This helps the unit acquire a signal quicker. This is why TomTom suggests connecting every seven days. It isn't necessary, but without it satellite acquisition may take longer, but acquisition will happen none-the-less.

To DougWeller, I understand you didn't reset, but your problem seems to be solved. You downloaded the latest Quickfix? You think this solved the problem?

My understanding is that Quickfix is just a file that tells the unit where the satellites will be the next seven days. This helps the unit acquire a signal quicker. This is why TomTom suggests connecting every seven days. It isn't necessary, but without it satellite acquisition may take longer, but acquisition will happen none-the-less.

To DougWeller, I understand you didn't reset, but your problem seems to be solved. You downloaded the latest Quickfix? You think this solved the problem?

I downloaded the latest Quickfix, put the TomTom on the windowsill in my study, and I no longer had a problem. So I think it must have been Quickfix.
Doug

Tom Tom GO user manual, say you can only have "48 My Favorites GPS Locations"
Refference
Page: 34
Section: How many Favorites can I create?
You can create up to 48 Favorites. If you want to add more than 48, we suggest
that you make some POI categories and add some of your Favorites as POIs.

Ask a Question