No GPS Fix

TomTom Model(s)
Start 55TM
On my TT XXL550T I keep getting the message "Your position is not known yet" when I start it up. It takes as long as 10 minutes to establish my position.

I have tried the GPSfix routine in Home but still the same problem. I know this is not normal but what is the fix, if there is one.

I have tried standing in a open field with nothing around for 1/2 mile with the same result.

Thanx

By saying you have tried the gpsfix in Home, do you mean you've downloaded the latest file?

Also, have you tried restting the unit? (Holding the power button for about 10 seconds on that model).

GPS Fix

By saying you have tried the gpsfix in Home, do you mean you've downloaded the latest file?

Also, have you tried restting the unit? (Holding the power button for about 10 seconds on that model).

Yes and yes...........

Any further suggestions before I head off for the "Promised Land" of tech support, heh, heh. Getting very cynical at this stage.....

I have tried the GPSfix routine in Home but still the same problem. I know this is not normal but what is the fix, if there is one.
You say you have "tried" it ... did it appear to work? In other words, were you offered a new QGPSfix in Home and had it upload successfully?

Our usual problem is that you aren't offered one at all due to a corrupt time/date stamp on one you received previously.

The second and not-so-common problem is a file with bad data. In those cases, you wind up having to wait for the next one or forcing a new one by deleting everything from:

TomTom: all of the files in the [drive]:\ephem folder
PC: all of the QuickGPSFix folders in the [drive]:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris

then hooking back up to Home and getting a fresh load.

I tried the GPS fix routine before I posed the question here. It did offer me a new one which I let Home download and install.

I will try deleting the suggested files and letting Home reload them. Not a good situation since I have only had the unit 3 weeks, use it every day when I am driving delivering cars so when it is down I am going to be running late where I go.

This just started on a trip yesterday and I need to resolve it soon.

This just started on a trip yesterday and I need to resolve it soon.
Guess that means I'll have to ask the obvious and have you (I hope) shoot it down...

You haven't been moving a fair distance (100 miles or more) with the unit off, then turning it on in the new location, have you?

Guess that means I'll have to ask the obvious and have you (I hope) shoot it down...

You haven't been moving a fair distance (100 miles or more) with the unit off, then turning it on in the new location, have you?

I traveled from a point in South Carolina to a point in South Carolina some 250 miles away with the unit on and functioning perfectly. Turned the unit off while I did some paperwork then turned it on for a trip to another point some 70 miles away. That is when it would not give me a GPS fix. Went back to the old way of using a map and am now pursuing a fix for the GPS fix problem from home.

I really thank you for the interest and help you are giving me.

OK. Well, it's not that you "fooled" it by waking it up a long distance from where it was last seeing satellites. All I can recommend is the deletions noted above with the fresh gpsfix from Home to follow. Let us know how that goes.

OK. Well, it's not that you "fooled" it by waking it up a long distance from where it was last seeing satellites. All I can recommend is the deletions noted above with the fresh gpsfix from Home to follow. Let us know how that goes.

Deleting the files seemed to work. As I ride around doing a test it picks up the satellites in about 15 seconds. The big test is tomorrow on a trip of approx. 200 miles into unfamiliar territory. I think I'd better get a road map of the area just in case.

Thanks again for your assistance and for being a contributing member of the forum.

GPS Fix

Just to keep everyone updated I just got back from a trip of over 400 miles into uncharted areas for my gps.

Per the instructions provided to me I deleted files and asked for an update from Home. It worked flawlessly and the gps acquired satellites in about 15/20 seconds while on the trip. A big relief to me and a bigger tip of the hat to all that replied to my problem and helped me resolve it.

Thanks to all..................

Very happy we were able to square that one away. I'm guessing that your problem was in the 2nd category - a corruption of the data you received.

More typically what we see is a bad time/date stamp internal to a QuickGPSFix download that is way out in the future, preventing any new downloads of fresh fix data... Home quits offering them.

Either way, you can always kill off the files we recommended without risk. You'll just get a fresh one in place of whatever was there, and the old ones do clutter up the PC download folder a bit.

Ask a Question