No Free V8.10 maps for 920 users with 1 year free map certificate

I had a similar experience with TT Customer Service. I posted a question on their website regarding the map update - attached my purchase receipt and the update leaflet. A few hours later I received an email response saying the updated NA and EU maps were available for d/l through TT Home.
I d/ed them to my computer, backed up my 920, deleted the old EU map, Updated to the new NA map (on the device), changed to my SD card in TT Home and loaded the new EU map to my SD card.
Everything works as it should.
I have to compliment TT on their excellent response time.

Map Updates

I just purchased a new (refurbished) TomTom 920. It came with App 8.010 and Map v710.1576. I called TT customer support and was given the following URL and was told the process would recognize my units eligibility to receive the latest maps.

http://www.tomtom.com/7954

Since you need to have the unit connected and TomTom Home running I will have to work this this evening when I get home.

I had a similar experience with TT Customer Service. I posted a question on their website regarding the map update - attached my purchase receipt and the update leaflet. A few hours later I received an email response saying the updated NA and EU maps were available for d/l through TT Home.
I d/ed them to my computer, backed up my 920, deleted the old EU map, Updated to the new NA map (on the device), changed to my SD card in TT Home and loaded the new EU map to my SD card.
Everything works as it should.
I have to compliment TT on their excellent response time.

Did TT provide you the 810.1907 maps or the 8.1 maps? Also, anyone know what the difference is? I recently had my maps updated by TT - I got the 810.1907 versions, but wonder if 8.1 versions are better..

Thanks.

TT CS in the UK was very helpful with me when I requested my update. Basically I bought my 920T in April after receiving a promotional email from TT about their new devices. I thought my 920 was the new model (The x30s were not in shops in the UK until May) I was so eager to try out the product that I immdiately ordered a new maps not realising that there was a 30 day LMG and also updated the firmware to v8. When I realised the new features did not work I contacted CS who eplained to me that I should have used the LMG instead of purchasing new maps and that the new features would only be available with v8 maps. I was minded to return the unit and get a refund and buy a 930 as that unit became available less than 28 days after I purchased my 920, but TT CS promised that there was a commitment to update the maps for older devices but could not say when this would happen. The helpful rep agreed that I could use my LMG when the new v8 maps became available and to keep checking Home and their website.

It's taken some time since I purchased by 920T for the update but it has been worth it. Obviously it would have been unfair on new x30 users who bought their units with the advertised new features at extra cost to the x20s to find out that older cheaper models was given the same features upgrade at the same time that they bought their models. Why would you buy a x30 when you could get a x20 with the same features for less dosh!! My only gripe with TT is that they did not give x20 users a time frame for when the upgrade would be available and one or two CSRs did not have a clue about the upgrade when I contacted them in August - one said to me that v8 maps would be incompatible with the x20 series. I had to point out to him that the x30s and x20s were identical save for the colour of their casing and had to email that worker the specs on both models to prove this to him. I received my upgrade in Sept and will be purchasing the map update service this week to keep my maps up to date. My advice to other TT users is not to expect new features to be imediately available for older models every time TT launch a new map or product as they need to sell a quota of their new product before this can happen. My experience of TT is that they do however filter down new maps and firmware for older models over time. I am hoping that some of the new features of the x40s will be available over time for the x20s and x30s.
Fingers X :D

Did TT provide you the 810.1907 maps or the 8.1 maps? Also, anyone know what the difference is? I recently had my maps updated by TT - I got the 810.1907 versions, but wonder if 8.1 versions are better..

Thanks.

I have the NA v810.1907 maps.
I am not sure what V8.1 contains over and above the version I have.
It would be good to know, if somebody has that info handy...

I have the NA v810.1907 maps.
I am not sure what V8.1 contains over and above the version I have.
It would be good to know, if somebody has that info handy...

Maps are versioned xxx.xxxx. Think of it as a really big Word document. The firmware is versioned x.xxx. The latest version of the firmware for the 920 is 8.010. Think of that as the word processing program that accesses the Word document.

Like a word processor, newer versions of the firmware are required to access newer maps, and those maps contain new features. Sometimes we refer to the 810.xxxx maps as the v8.1 maps for that reason, but technically there are no V8.1 maps.

In summary, the "V8.1 maps" are really the v810.1907 maps you have already. No need to upgrade.

Maps are versioned xxx.xxxx. Think of it as a really big Word document. The firmware is versioned x.xxx. The latest version of the firmware for the 920 is 8.010. Think of that as the word processing program that accesses the Word document.

Like a word processor, newer versions of the firmware are required to access newer maps, and those maps contain new features. Sometimes we refer to the 810.xxxx maps as the v8.1 maps for that reason, but technically there are no V8.1 maps.

In summary, the "V8.1 maps" are really the v810.1907 maps you have already. No need to upgrade.

This is interesting because TOMTOM upgraded me to v810.1907 maps. However, on the TOMTOM website, v8.10 maps are still available for me to purchase.

Are you sure that 8.1 and 810.1907 maps are the same? It appears that TOMTOM considers them as being different....

Latest Map Guaruntee problem

I am a new owner of a GO920 and I too have had problems in getting the latest map. I bought my GO920 just 5 days ago from Circuit City and have been trying to download the NA ver 8 map update but it says my promo code is out of date or no longer valid or I have to pay $129.

Support wrote that they can fix the problem if they get proof of purchase faxed in. I did fax it, they acknowledged receipt and said the new map would "be in my account" in 24 to 48 hours. That was 3 days ago.

What account?

There is nothing under my login that says there is an account. PURCHASES show nothing. the QUESTIONS still says waiting, my promo code still does not work.

Does calling help? So far I have kept it with net messages. Heck maybe I should stop sending in POI corrections (there are LOTS of them for Yuma AZ) but then I wouldn't get them from all you other contributors.

Suggestions? (Lord give me PATIENCE but please HURRY!)

Calling is better than emails.....

Log into your account at TomTom and then click on Plus Services and see if anything is listed on the right side under Maps

What account?

They are referring to your TomTom HOME account. They associate the latest map with your HOME account once you send them your proof of purchase.

What you should do is the following:
1) Make sure you totally closeout TomTom HOME (i.e. if you still have the HOME icon in the lower right side of your PC, be sure to RIGHT click on it and then click on EXIT
2) Start a fresh TomTom HOME session
3) Plug in your TomTom
4) Turn on your TomTom
5) When your TomTom asks if you want to connect to your PC, click YES
6) Home will automatically recognize your TomTom and automatically look for updates
7) The updates HOME finds SHOULD include the new maps....simply insure they are checkmarked to download and then click UPDATE AND INSTALL

NOTE: If, for some reason, HOME doesn't automatically look for updates, you can simply click the UPDATE MY GO icon in home and it will do the same thing.

Ask a Question