No Free V8.10 maps for 920 users with 1 year free map certificate

TomTom Model(s)
TT920T & TT700
No Free V8.10 maps for 920 users with 1 year free....(Update got new maps-free)

So, I just got of the phone with TT CSR and advised them that I had the 1 year free map card that came with my 920. I asked them to download the V8.10 maps into my account. He advised me that they will not do it, but on Sept 11 they will give me the 7.25 maps under the LMG. I asked them if the 7.25 has ALG or IQ routes. He replied no.

My card has been previously scanned and emailed to them. I HAVE GOTTEN Free map updates in the past. Needless to say, I am a little P.O.'d.

Good luck to the others, if "Jerry" answers the phone at TT, call back later.:mad:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've been wondering about this myself since I also have the 1-yr guarantee. I'll be calling later to see if I get a nice CSR.

I've got a ticket in on this but I'm going to call tomorrow. My position is that the correct maps for the GO920 as listed on their web site are the 8.10 maps and that the 7.25 maps are listed for the non-x20 TT's.

Believe me that I will push this all the way up the food chain.

Better news

Well not only did I call, I also emailed, here is the response:

Dear 96ss,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Patrick and my goal is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience.

The 8.10 maps are not available for the latest map offer until after September 11th. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

XXXXXXX

TomTom Customer Support

So, as usual, we find that there is no communication among anyone there (surprised?) But I will definately hold them to this.

I have the 920T with the 1-year free maps and I called and got the 8.10 maps for mine yesterday. No problems at all getting it. This is my 3rd time getting free maps.

The last time I called (June 08) the guy had me scan and upload my receipt and 1-year card into a problem ticket he created for me. Easy and now I have no problems getting my maps for free.

New V810 North American Map

Just got off the phone with TT support, talked to a guy named Jesse, he was very helpful and sent for free both the Western Europe and North American maps to me under the 30 day map garantee. Both V810.

I guess It depends who you talk to.

New 8.10 Maps

I just called TomTom tech support and was able to get both North America and Europe 8.10 maps downloaded because of my map guarantee.

I first emailed and was told to wait until after September 11th!

additional cost to consider on latest/newest map warranty.

try this one out.

I purcahsed a TT GO 930 less than two months ago. The warranty states that if there is a new map available after purchase within 30 days you can download new map.

My TT GO 930 has both the US map and Western and Central Europe maps. Both of these maps have been updated and have new maps available. Both of these maps are so large that they do not fit in the TT. I informed TT Support that I had this issue and they REFUSED to do anything for me. i.e. get me a new with the latest maps. They also informed me that it was my hard luck. They said that they had complied with what they offered because I downloaded the maps, they are in my SD card, and they have further responsibility.

SO
1. I was informed that they are aware of the issue.
2. Customer support will not reimburse you for the memory card that you use for the upgrade of maps that no longer fit.
3. Customer support will REFUSE to do anything for you.
4. THe public is not informed of this misleading "warranty" they offer.
5. Thousands of these units are being sold and the new owners will need to purchase additional memory to hold the latest map/maps.

I can keep going on this and you can just guess how upset I am.

This has to be the worst customer service I have ever seen and I am not done. I will go as far as I have to.

Last edited:
try this one out.

I purcahsed a TT GO 930 less than two months ago. The warranty states that if there is a new map available after purchase within 30 days you can download new map.

My TT GO 930 has both the US map and Western and Central Europe maps. Both of these maps have been updated and have new maps available. Both of these maps are so....

What do you hope to gain by posting this three times?

Anyway, TomTom does not owe you anything just because the maps are now too large to fit in the internal memory at the same time. You didn't have to buy a new card, all you had to do was:

1) Backup all of your maps

2) Delete North American map from the card

3) Update the European maps

4) Back it up.

5) Delete it from the card

6) Restore the North American map

7) Update it

8) Back it up.

Once that's done you only load the maps you need. Since you can't drive between the US and Europe I don't see where that would be a problem.

TomTom could make this easier if they would allow both maps to be updated on your computer without being loaded to the device but when did TomTom ever make upgrading that simple.

Heck I've gone through three "Free maps for a year" updates and now they want me to send in proof of purchase and the coupon again.

Remember, "Life is hard and then you die".

Have fun.

I have the 920T with the 1-year free maps and I called and got the 8.10 maps for mine yesterday. No problems at all getting it. This is my 3rd time getting free maps.

The last time I called (June 08) the guy had me scan and upload my receipt and 1-year card into a problem ticket he created for me. Easy and now I have no problems getting my maps for free.

Since there online system never worked, it's still up too, they had me do the same the first time I called in. Problem is that they now can't find it and want me to go through the same thing again. Not a problem with the proof-of-purchase but I can't scan currently so I gave them the code again and let them deal with it.

So after loading the maps does the RouteIQ and Lane guidance work?

why do they want us to wait until 9-11??? should we wait?

Most obvious reason is that they won't have finished training internal support on guiding users through the upgrade process until 9-11. (and yes, we shouldn't be able to see into their internal processes so easily, but it does explain the inconsistencies in TT responses)

They just granted me access to the 8.10 map, no quibbles, I just referenced my previous ticket that contained the scanned certificate.

They just granted me access to the 8.10 map, no quibbles, I just referenced my previous ticket that contained the scanned certificate.

Same here like you I just had to reference my previous ticket and they added both N/A & C/W Europe Maps. Mind you I had to call back the second time as the first Tec put the wrong version map in my account and when I noticed it was smaller than my 7.20 map & message stating it wasn't suitable for my device I called back and the second Tec pulled it out and put the both 8.10 19xx MB maps in my account.

I do have one issue though; it still states that I have the wrong version map for the lane guidance. I haven't done a clear memory yet and that might correct the problem.
I will try that after I finish the C/W Europe down load.

Last edited:
Finally had to call TT but I've got my maps. Lane Assist works and it looks like Route IQ will also. We'll find out how well when I head home in an hour.

So, I just got of the phone with TT CSR and advised them that I had the 1 year free map card that came with my 920. I asked them to download the V8.10 maps into my account. He advised me that they will not do it, but on Sept 11 they will give me the 7.25 maps under the LMG. I asked them if the 7.25 has ALG or IQ routes. He replied no.

My card has been previously scanned and emailed to them. I HAVE GOTTEN Free map updates in the past. Needless to say, I am a little P.O.'d.

Good luck to the others, if "Jerry" answers the phone at TT, call back later.:mad:

try calling again, the odds of u gettin jerry 2 times is not likely... explain to someone that u have the card. give them the ref # the card is linked to, if they still say no ask to talk to a supervisor

I do have one issue though; it still states that I have the wrong version map for the lane guidance. I haven't done a clear memory yet and that might correct the problem.
I will try that after I finish the C/W Europe down load.

I got that too, but it was fine after a reboot (didn't bother with the flash utility).

As usual, you'd be wise to do an Explorer backup since the upgrade wipes out your Favorites list, color scheme, and other customizations.

AFAICS the Route IQ feature is still restricted to the 930. The new map enabled ALG, but driving down the San Francisco peninsula to northern San Jose didn't trigger ALG even once. It's easy to see why they were willing to give it away for free... it doesn't always do it. BUT I expect when I drive down to Los Angeles it'll be a big help. :)

I got that too, but it was fine after a reboot (didn't bother with the flash utility).

As usual, you'd be wise to do an Explorer backup since the upgrade wipes out your Favorites list, color scheme, and other customizations.

AFAICS the Route IQ feature is still restricted to the 930. The new map enabled ALG, but driving down the San Francisco peninsula to northern San Jose didn't trigger ALG even once. It's easy to see why they were willing to give it away for free... it doesn't always do it. BUT I expect when I drive down to Los Angeles it'll be a big help. :)

Yes it did work after I reset & did flash memory, perhaps I didn't need to do flash memory but I did anyway while I was at it.

The ALG turns on but as far as knowing whether it works I am not sure, as there is no major intersections near me to try it.

As for the IQ feature I think you could be wrong on the restrictions to the 930?s as I have seen other posts from 920 owners that have said it works very well.:)

Ask a Question