No download from Google Maps to VIA 1405

It seems you want to make me the fool and Tom-Tom the hero?
Is that the role of a "Super Moderator" on this forum?
Re-read what I said in my last post.

I more or less resolved the blaming of my GPS, stating that the street address given to me by the resort doesn't match the GPS co-ordinates.
I'm not sure whose "fault" that is ... but it sure as hell isn't the "workman's" (me).

Besides, You've purposely missed my main point entirely.
Google Maps to Tom-Tom Favorites functionality has been QUIETLY removed.

I want that functionality, Period.
If it means a (compensated) trade-up into a Tom-Tom GPS that WILL provide that, I'll stay with the brand.
If they don't want to do that ... then I'll be looking at other manufacturers.
It's. That. Simple.

Who do I talk to?

Last edited:
Not at all. We're just concluding that it's a typical "garbage in, garbage out" situation. Another thing you will discover is that especially 'out in the boondocks' the way 'house numbers' are captured will often throw off the precision in any location where a street address is used. NONE of the mapping companies are identifying the location of each and every postal street address. They grab address end points from two or more locations along a street (in denser areas, typically once per block) and interpolate the distance between those numbers to come up with an approximate location, operating (correctly or incorrectly) that the distribution of houses/whatevers with numbers is distributed evenly along the distance between the two known points. Sometimes that works very well Sometimes the nonlinear spread of numbers along a road throws it pretty badly. Welcome to the imprecision we still all learn to live with when using a GPS. As I've always said -- "You can't beat local knowledge with a GPS".

As for the 'quietness' (not really - users have been yelling about this since it happened!) of the removal of the Google to Favorites function, you'll notice that it is Google who has bagged that ability on their web site. Since TomTom's Teleatlas maps have taken over some of their business, they don't love TomTom now, even for the older units. So the absence of that feature on the Nav3 units puts them in the same league with their Nav2 (like your older unit) counterparts in any case. Too bad. Lots of people have been unhappy about this.

Has Google "axed" it, or does the option simply not appear if you don't have Tom-Tom Home installed and running?

I lent (or gave) my old "One" to my son to use. I think I'll ask him for it back to see if I can confirm or deny that theory.

I've read elsewhere that that the XL550 still uses TomTom Home.

Can anyone tell me what other models (hopefully ones with lane-assist and lifetime maps ... the reasons for wanting to "upgrade" in the first place.) use TomTom Home?

I don't care about using my GPS as a bluetooth device for a cell phone or for playing music.
I just want accurate (as possible, as per your explanation) spoken directions.

The 550 uses Home as do the 540 (if you can find one) and older models such as the 730 and 930 models.

The Start 45 and 55 models in Canada also are on the older platform and use Home 2, not MyTomtom.

Alright. Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Since TomTom's Teleatlas maps have taken over some of their business, they don't love TomTom now, even for the older units.

I re-read that particular sentence, and it's begining to "sink in" a bit this morning. The last thing that any user will want to do is to buy a product that is subject to a bunch of corporate squabbling.

The Microsoft thing, too, with the removable storage issue...

When are obscene profits and billions of dollars "enough" for these guys?

Ask a Question