No answer from phone, please check your mobile phone

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
Every time I get in my car, it's about a cointoss whether I'm going to get a valid Bluetooth connection between my Motorola Q9m smartphone and my TomTom GO 920. It'll always say "Connected to Marc's phone" ... but after that it may or may not finish the connection.

On top of that, when it gives me the "No response from phone, please check your mobile phone" message, usually I can hear my phone going ballistic. It has a sound for Bluetooth device connected (low-high), and another for Bluetooth device disconnected (high-low).

So when it fails, what can be heard in my car is:
"Connected to Marc's phone"
low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low
"No answer from phone, please check your mobile phone"
<pause>
low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low, low-high, high-low
"No answer from phone, please check your mobile phone" (not spoken, but merely displayed)
wash, rinse, repeat, up to 5 times total, then the TT gives up and I have to go into the Manage Phone menu to make it try again.

I can almost always fix it by disabling Bluetooth support on my phone, and then re-enabling it.
"Connected to Marc's phone"
<pause>
BT on.

I suspect my GO920 just isn't waiting long enough for a response. Is there some way to adjust the timing?

...and yes, I've tried deleting the phone and re-detecting it.

Only one?

What, am I the only one with these symptoms? Maybe it's not timing, but I'd love to know if I'm the only one or whether there are others. Maybe we can compare notes.

Since you have a 920, you have a bluetooth remote also. This can cause a conflict with the connection. it should be either-or, but try you connection without having you remote anywhere close. it is supposed to ask if you want to connect the remote, but sometimes it just shuts off the hands-free device.

Since you have a 920, you have a bluetooth remote also. This can cause a conflict with the connection. it should be either-or, but try you connection without having you remote anywhere close. it is supposed to ask if you want to connect the remote, but sometimes it just shuts off the hands-free device.
It has nothing to do with the remote as it did it even worse with my 720.

It has nothing to do with the remote as it did it even worse with my 720.

Yeah, and I very, very rarely use my BT remote with my 920 so I doubt there's a conflict. Besides that, it's not like an FM radio frequency where multiple devices broadcasting on the same frequency mess each other up. Bluetooth devices are designed to coexist. That's why each has a name, and a PIN to restrict access (which is almost always fixed at 0000 but you don't need distinctive PINs for it to all work together).

FWIW it got much worse when I changed my Motorola Q9m into a Q9c (firmware and OS change). Extremely unstable Bluetooth connection that sometimes hangs my TomTom when I try to answer the phone, so now I make sure I have my H700 earpiece with me when I'm driving. Very reliable, unlike my 920's speakerphone function, and the two devices can (occasionally anyway) connect to my phone simultaneously and figure out what the desirable behavior should be (I conduct my conversation on the headset, and my TomTom acknowledges I'm not on a call and mutes itself).

Turn your Tomtom off and then on and that may fix the problem. You may also want to try hitting the reset button on your Tomtom to see if that will fix it.

What version of the software are you running on your device as well?

Ask a Question