Nightmare with Go 720 since moving map to SDHC

I hope that somebody can help me as I'm tearing my hair out!

On Thursday I updated my Go 720 ready to travel on Friday and a new map appeared. I didn't have room for the new map so deferred the installation until I got hold of a 4GB SDHC card (Sandisk).

On Friday evening I followed the advice on several threads here (thanks) and copied the contents of my Go 720 over to the SDHC using Windows.

I then deleted the maps from the device so they would run from the memory card.

All seemed well until we tried to navigate today. We had no voices. Previously we had used Kate, a computer voice from the UK. However, although she appeared to select, when you click 'test' there's no sound and once you select her she's mute. We had to use Jane instead who is not a computer voice and so cannot give road names.

Since we got back I've read and tried lots and lots of threads.

First I thought I might have the voice folders on both the memory card and the device so I deleted them from the memory card so they only existed on the device. 'Manage my Go' on Home reported I had Jane and Kate installed but when I try to select a voice on the TomTom, only Jane is offered.

Then I tried deleting all of the voice files and folders so that I'm prompted to reinstall them. However, when I do this there are no UK voices offered.

Then I tried copying all of the voice files from the backup onto the memory card and deleting all of the voice files from the device. I did this using Windows as another thread suggested that Home cannot write to the SDHC. Now I have no voices on the device, I am offered both Jane and Kate to select from but Kate is once again mute.

Anybody have any idea what I am doing wrong? I want to use Kate as I often travel alone to places new to me and so have a computer voice that tells me that actual road names and numbers is extremely helpful when I'm trying to follow signs, particularly on roundabouts and complex junctions. However, when the voice files are on the device I'm not offered Kate (even when it says she's installed) and when the voice files are on the memory card she's mute!

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Take a look at whats on the memory card, there should only be the Western_Europe or North_American map folder and nothing else - No other files or folders, once we have this established next we can move on to sorting out whats on the device - As a tip use Windows Explorer to see what files are where as Hopme is rather useless for doing this, often resulting in mutiple copys of files/ folders where they are not required - Mike

Thanks for the post Mike.

I've now deleted everything from the memory card except the Western_Europe folder.

I then put the memory card back into the Go 720 and it spotted that I hadn't got any voices when I connected it to Home. I then ran before I could walk and selected one of the Australian voices.

This is what I got for being naughty:

ERROR: FileError/FileMoveError/2152857621: FileError:
Performing file move on C:\Users\xxx\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\temp\4f714741db1b49a801f8ddff93814cfc.tmp
(moving to C:\Users\xxx\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\voice\Mandy with name data116.cab)
Severity: 1105
-
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/fileUtils.js :: moveFile :: line 99" data: no]
Stack:
0. function moveFile chrome://tthome/content/logic/fileUtils.js:103
throw new FileMoveError(e, file, dir, name)
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:472
moveFile(this._temporaryFile, this._finalFile.parent, this._finalFile.leafName);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:678
var targetFile = progressTracker.finalizeDownload();
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. function successCallback chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:635
finalizeDownloads();
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:419
this._successCallback(null);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:396
this._finishedSuccessfully();

CAUSE: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x80520015 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ACCESS_DENIED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://tthome/content/logic/fileUtils.js :: moveFile :: line 99" data: no]
in chrome://tthome/content/logic/fileUtils.js:99
Stack:
0. function moveFile chrome://tthome/content/logic/fileUtils.js:99
file.moveTo(dir, name);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:472
moveFile(this._temporaryFile, this._finalFile.parent, this._finalFile.leafName);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:678
var targetFile = progressTracker.finalizeDownload();
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
4. function successCallback chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:635
finalizeDownloads();
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:419
this._successCallback(null);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:396
this._finishedSuccessfully();

Time: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:45:24 GMT

I'm an Administrator on the Vista machine so don't think it's really file permissions ....

Right, with just the map on the memory card lets forget using Home for the time being as its not needed.

Firstly lets see about getting a computer voice on the device, remove the memory card to avoid any location confusion then connect the device to the PC, if Home starts up shut the program down as its not needed for this.

Download a computer voice, I have included a couple of direct links for UK based TTS voices in the links below:

Kate

Simon

Use WinRar to extract the files from the download straight LoquendoTTS folder on the device.

When the file extraction is complete disconnect the device from the PC, switch the nav unit off and insert the memory card. When you switch the nav unit back on you should be able to select either Kate or Simon from the available voices listed on the device - Mike

Thanks again Mike.

I have followed your instructions but when I switch the Go 720 back on with the memory card in, after unzipping the files to the folder, I see the message WARNING: There are no voices available. You will not hear any spoken instructions. There is a continue button at the bottom of the screen, which is red.

Copy everything from your original internal memory backup onto the SDHC, except for the new Western Europe map folder.

Then quickformat your internal memory, and leave it completely empty.

Then delete the ttgo.bif file and the internal.dat file on your SDHC, and then disconnect the Tomtom and see if it starts up.

Thanks for the advice mvl.

I've followed your advice and with the SDHC card in and the TomTom quick formatted I get the legal disclaimer agreement and then 'no maps found'.

Thanks for the advice mvl.

I've followed your advice and with the SDHC card in and the TomTom quick formatted I get the legal disclaimer agreement and then 'no maps found'.

You need a Western Europe folder on the SD. I thought you already had the new map on the SDHC.

At this point, copy the Western Europe folder from your backup to the SDHC also. Then go to Tomtom HOME, when prompted choose External, and go to add maps (if not yet purchased) or (update my GO) if maps are already purchased, and add the new map.

Thanks for the post.

I've put the Western_Europe folder back on the SDHC. Now I have nothing at all on Go 720 except a file called internal.dat.

When I turn on the Go 720 I get a message about the voice I have selected not being available. When I go voices the only one I can select is Jane, English UK.

I've reattached to the computer and selected Internal. I've reinstalled Kate (computer voice) from the computer. I can see there are two new folders on the internal drive - LoquendoTTS and Voices.

I return to Select Voice and still only Jane is available despite all the files for Kate being in the LoquendoTTS folder.

I reset my device using the little button on the bottom. When I go back to Select Voice in preferences I now see Kate. However when I press Test she's mute. No sound at all. When I test Jane she's mute too!

I'm just about to go outside and see if I can get either of them to work!

So everything works except for the voices?

The problem is that you're mixing Loquendo 6 voices from your backups with Loquendo7 voices from Mike's download.

The 720 is only licensed to use Loquendo6, which is probably the problem.

Do these steps:
1) delete everything from the Internal except for internal.dat
2) do a chkdsk /f on the SDHC, make sure all errors (if present) are fixed
3) delete the contents of the LoquendoTTS folder from the SDHC, but leave the Folder present
4) delete ttgo.bif on the SDHC
5) use Winrar to extract this file and copy to the SDHC, overwriting as prompted
6) power on/off the Tomtom to generate a new ttgo.bif file (needed for step 7a)
7a) Close/reopen HOME. If it offers a new application, do not download the application. Try to see if HOME will download Kate and/or Simon now. If they download, go to step 8. If they don't download, go to step 7b.
7b) use winrar to extract the Loquendo6 files into the LoquendoTTS folder, the second one will overwrite some files from the first one, that's OK. Download here: Kate and Simon.
8) disconnect using the blue button in HOME
9) do a pin reset (see here)

Thanks for the post. I was using Kate from my computer (moved there by Home when my new map was too big) and as suspected Jane works and Kate does not.

Now downloading Kate from your link and replacing it on my device in case the files are corrupt. I had to go outside to try as a) no satellites available in my flat and b) my battery stays charged for less than a minute and so had to sit in the car on the charger there!

I've unzipped Kate from your link onto the device to replace the existing files in case they were corrupt. Now I'm getting a message 'the voice you have selected is not available".

When I try to test Jane she speaks. When I try to test Kate (who is now available) she is mute. No sound at all.

I'm not sure what on earth I'm doing wrong :confused:

Now you know that I've not mixed version 7 and version 6 do you think I need to follow your last post and start right back at the beginning?

The Loquendo filenames are different with v6 and v7.

At a minimum, you need to clear out all the Loquendo7 files not to confuse the Tomtom:
1) clear out LoquendoTTS on your sdhc (while you're at it you should clear out mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\loquendovoice on your computer too)
2) extract the Kate 6.9 file into the loquendoTTS on SDHC
3) extract the application here and copy contents onto the SDHC (overwriting if prompted), as it includes some LoquendoTTS system files that are missing from the Kate download

Last edited:
The Loquendo TTS folder is on my device not the SDHC. I've just done as you suggested but still get the message that 'the voice you have selected is not available".

I then wondered if somehow the Loquendo TTS folder had recreated itself on the device and it had! I've now deleted it and the voices folder from the SDHC and they only exist on the device.

Now I've put the SDHC card back in the device and started it again. There is only one Loquendo TTS folder which contains files I have downloaded from your post and your second post. This is on the device.

Kate is available but still mute. No sound at all.

I've now added Simon from Home. I did not have him downloaded already so he's new from the website. He too is available but completely mute. No sound at all.

Thanks for all your help :)

I've now moved the Loquendo TTS folder (containing Kate and Simon) plus the voices folder from the device to the SDHC card and incredibly now it all works! It's such a relief but also hard to understand why other people have items split between the SDHC card and the device and it works but for me it won't.

Thanks to everybody who has helped. I'm now dreading an update so am backing up!

Ask a Question