"Night Color Brightness" software bug in 920

Hello! My first post.
I just bought the 920 (updated firmware v 7.221) and encountered a bug. Maybe someone can help me. I also emailed TomTom tech support but no response yet. Here's a copy of that email. (I value your input! TIA.) :)

I've encountered a software glitch. When the 'Night color brightness' is set to 0% via the 'Screen preferences' and the 'Battery saving preference' is set to either 'Always turn off screen' or 'Turn off between instructions,' the night color screen brightness automatically jumps back to 100% brightness after turning back on from being off. Yet, when you go back to check the the night color brightness level via the 'Screen preferences' menu, it still indicates 0%. To re-lower the night color brightness, I have to move the bar to the right 5% or higher and the screen gets dimmer. Then move the bar back to 0% if I want 0% again. This phenomenon does NOT occur when the initial night color brightness is set to 5% or higher. At 5% or higher, the unit's night color brightness maintains the originally selected brightness level when the screen comes back on from being off.

I like to keep my night color brightness set at 0% because I find that 5% is too bright, and I like to have the screen turn off periodically while I'm driving, especially at night.

(These options are also selected but they have no effect on the problem: 'Turn brightness down when dark,' 'Switch to night view when dark,' 'FM transmitter,' and 'TomTom Jukebox.' Also, it doesn't matter if the unit is connected to the charger or when it's operating in battery mode.)

Here's a recap:
1. I set the nighttime screen brightness to 0% (day brightness is 70% but this setting doesn't matter either).
2. I set the screen preference to 'Always turn off screen' or 'Turn off between instructions.'
3. The screen shuts off, as it is supposed to.
4. The screen comes back on at 100% brightness because I either tapped the screen, there was a vocal announcement, or some other input.
5. I have to go back to the 'Brightness preferences' and move the nighttime brightness bar to 5% or higher and then back to 0%.
6. Repeat steps 3-5.

This bug is also happening in my TT910

:confused: Very same bug with my system - its quite annoying as the screen is way too bright when driving on a dark highway at night. The glare reflected on the glass forces me to turn off my TT.

i am going to follow this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions, I cant find anything on this when searching the site.

Good luck and please post your reply from TT.

Here is their response (emphasis added; I redacted the person's name):
-------------------------------
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is ****** and my goal today is to provide you with a exceptional customer experience. We understand from your email that you are having some trouble with your brightness setting. We understand your frustration and are more than happy to assist.

In regard to your query we are aware of this issue and are working diligently to resolve it. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team
-----------------------

So, hopefully, the next firmware revision will correct this annoying problem.

My XL-S has this same problem today....anyone know if there is an update or resolution for this. I am open to hacks.

Ask a Question