Newbie question, not sure if I'm doing things right...

So I got a 720 for christmas... which was great since I was used to having an in-car navigation before it got stolen. However, I'm finding some issues and I don't know if it's just user error or what.

First thing... the time is always wrong. I am from the west coast, and the time on my tomtom is always 9 hours ahead. Like now, it's 11:41PM, but on my tomtom, it's 8:41AM.

2nd... I was trying to find a Home Depot but can't. I know there's like 3 or 4 around me, but the tomtom dosn't know of any. I found this forum and did download the POIs, but shouldn't something like this be included by default? Also, I'm looking for Linen's N Things, and nope, not in the POIs either. What's up with that?

I'm using the North America 2GB map. Is there another choice? I had thought that maybe the internal memory was too small, so I bought a 4GB SD card... but I don't know, what am I doing wrong?

So I got a 720 for christmas... which was great since I was used to having an in-car navigation before it got stolen. However, I'm finding some issues and I don't know if it's just user error or what.

First thing... the time is always wrong. I am from the west coast, and the time on my tomtom is always 9 hours ahead. Like now, it's 11:41PM, but on my tomtom, it's 8:41AM.

2nd... I was trying to find a Home Depot but can't. I know there's like 3 or 4 around me, but the tomtom dosn't know of any. I found this forum and did download the POIs, but shouldn't something like this be included by default? Also, I'm looking for Linen's N Things, and nope, not in the POIs either. What's up with that?

I'm using the North America 2GB map. Is there another choice? I had thought that maybe the internal memory was too small, so I bought a 4GB SD card... but I don't know, what am I doing wrong?

What happens when you reset the unit to the proper time for you? Also, the standard poi's that come with the 720 are weak in some areas. You can add poi's as you've found out and, as well, make corrections/additions to the included items and share them with mapshare.

The internal memory just manages to squeeze in the (reduced in size) NA map 7.10 build 1584. The NA map 7.10 build 1609 is really meant for 920 users but some 720 owners have received it. Its size is almost 2 gigs because its included poi.dat file (270+ megs) is triple the size of the included one in the 1584 build. So, if you get the larger NA map, you may wish to install it on the sd card; your life will be made easier by doing this.

Ok, I'm an idiot... I just tried to manually adjust the clock, and then do a sync. Now it shows the correct time.

As far as the POIs. I'm getting really terrible customer service when I called them about it. I made a call saying that I can't find Home Depot and Linen's N Things. The CSR said that I need to go download the retail POIs from tomtom home, and do a soft reset.
Fine, I did that. Still no Home Depot.
I called back, and the new CSR said that they're not licensed to offer Home Depot as a POI, and that if it shows up on any other tomtom, it's a mistake on their part.
She then kept on telling me that if I have the 7.10 map, then I have the exact same POI as the 920, which, from reading this forum, it not true.

So I don't know, the terrible customer service experience is really pushing me to return this thing.

Ok, I'm an idiot... I just tried to manually adjust the clock, and then do a sync. Now it shows the correct time.

As far as the POIs. I'm getting really terrible customer service when I called them about it. I made a call saying that I can't find Home Depot and Linen's N Things. The CSR said that I need to go download the retail POIs from tomtom home, and do a soft reset.
Fine, I did that. Still no Home Depot.
I called back, and the new CSR said that they're not licensed to offer Home Depot as a POI, and that if it shows up on any other tomtom, it's a mistake on their part.
She then kept on telling me that if I have the 7.10 map, then I have the exact same POI as the 920, which, from reading this forum, it not true.

So I don't know, the terrible customer service experience is really pushing me to return this thing.

You do have to get lucky with the CSR's --- some know their stuff and others, well, let's just say you've done well joining this forum for information/help if you need it:eek:

It may be drastic considering the return of the unit because of customer support; the grass is always greener on the other side.

And yeah, the 920 poi's are different than the 720's.

I have the POIs from the NA 710.1609 overwritten onto my NA_2GB 710.1584 map. I have also added the retail POIs from tomtom home. I live in suburban Chicago, and my 720 shows 20 Home Depots and 7 Linen's n Things within 18 miles of home.

I have the POIs from the NA 710.1609 overwritten onto my NA_2GB 710.1584 map. I have also added the retail POIs from tomtom home. I live in suburban Chicago, and my 720 shows 20 Home Depots and 7 Linen's n Things within 18 miles of home.

I think I just need to find the POIs from the 1609 version. Any advice on where I can get that?

Ask a Question